Join now - be part of our community!

Sony BDP S790 3D from USB problems

777Filip
New

Sony BDP S790 3D from USB problems

My Sony bdp s790 3D blu ray player cannot open SBS 3D video from USB, it remain in 2D and just play Side by Side 2 pictures. In options 3D menu only contains choices to made 2D to 3D with simulation but no options for sbs decoding. What can I do? Do I need to put some specific TAG in the file name or container to make BDP S790 to recognise and automaticaly play 3D to TV?

I have Sony KDL 55HX850 TV and on TV i have options for 3D SBS decoding that work fine but in that case i cant use subtitles because one subtitle row half is on L-side,another is on the R-side,SBS decoded with picture on picture...and you can imagine how bad it looks....

Do i have any options?

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @777Filip,

side by side 3D videos don't carry any information that they are 3D - since they actually aren't - they are simple 2D video files with the left and right eye view squished into one video frame.

You actually have to tell your 3D-Television that you are currently playing a side by side 3D file, since it can't tell the difference between any ordinary 2D video and a 2D video which carries sbs 3D content.

This is usually done via the 3D-menu of your TV (depending on the manufacturer it is called differently) and not on the playback device (BD-player in this case).

So since the subtitles are not part of the video itself (squished on the two halfes like the video frames), there is actually no way to play them back properly via the player.

There might be video containers which properly support 3D subtitles and are automatically played back as 3D - but with the particular video file you currently have you won't have any luck to get the subtitles to display correctly as soon as you switch to 3D on the TV.

- Nic