Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 32ex723 - Banding Issue

profile.country.en_GB.title
mobily_uk
New

Sony 32ex723 - Banding Issue

Hey all,

I have just purchased a Sony 32ex723 and have had it for about a week. I am in the main very pleased with the set apart from one thing that is starting to annoy me.

I first noticed it when watching football and it is what I can only describe as vertical bands of light down the screen when the camera pans across the football pitch. I have also noticed it on some films when the screen is filled by one colour and the camera pans. Even the wife can see it and she doesn't usually see anything like that!

Is this something that can be fixed and would it even be recognised as a fault by Sony? I would certainly think it would be, however I have heard 'within specifications' mentioned whilst doing a little research on the issue. 

Many thanks,

James

Message was edited by: mobily_uk

Message was edited by: mobily_uk

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

Hi James,

It is hard to say without looking at the TV. However I do not believe that what you are experiencing is right. ‘Within specification’ is a very lose term. If the wife can see it then that is a very bad sign. Indistinctively of whether this ‘within specification’ may apply here, which I personally believe not, you have had it for just a week. Contact your retailer immediately and tell them that you have a problem. You might be able to swap it without any inconvenience. If they are not very helpful then ask them for a full refund, they should be able to provide one solution or the other. It is important that you contact the retailer as soon as possible and inform them of the fault.

Sony has an agreement with retailers to take back their TV within seven days, that’s why time is of the essence.

That issue is starting to annoy you; it will get worse with time never better. 32 inches is not what I call a big screen even with edge lit led it should be close to perfect.

To avoid confusion please let me say that I am NOT a Sony Representative; I am just another Sony Customer who has had problems with a Sony TV.

Good luck.

mobily_uk
New

Hi there,

Thanks for your response.

It's a tricky one as I got a really good deal on this set and the retailer won't have any left which would mean a full refund and I'll be back to square one.

I do have a 5 year warranty though so may see if I can live with it.

I would be interested to know Sony's thoughts on this if someone from there wants to input?

Many thanks,

James

mobily_uk
New

Just an update:

I phoned my retailer who were excellent. As the set is under 35 days old my options are either a full refund of an exchange.

I really like the set apart from the banding and therefore I am not too keen on a refund, expecially as to get a set of the same spec would set me back about an additional £200 to 300 due to the special offer I was lucky enough to get.

Unfortunately the retailer has run out of stock and an exchange is not an option.

They have offered to log the fault with Sony who will repair the set, however I have read some horror stories of sets been away for weeks/months and then returned with the same or even a worse fault.

Maybe someone from Sony on here would be able to comment on this?

Many thanks,

James

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

That’s a tough one mate. I rather pay extra for a good one than keeping a faulty one at a good price. You can always repair the TV. I personally do not like the idea of repairing a brand new TV. I bought a BR player about 3 or 4 year ago 250 pounds and it was slightly faulty it was taken to repair several times and I still have BR player which has a problem that cannot be solved or the engineer cannot find a problem with it. However what do you have to lose? If they repair it and come back worse; will the retailer give you a refund? For what you said the retailer will not get any more of those in the near future. Is that right?

I cannot suggest one way or the other. I can only put some questions to you. Would you be happy in keeping the TV with its flaws at the price you paid if all goes wrong? Is the good price really that good? Talk to your retailer to see if they will back you up if the repair goes wrong. Whatever you decide I really wish you good luck.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi James,

Your model is still available for 'Next Day' delivery on the Sony Online website here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/tv-80-32-lcd/kdl-32ex723

sony_cust11 makes some good points.  I would press for an exchange.  Your dealer should be able to get one within a few days as they are still in stock with Sony.

Did you pay a lot less than £699.99?

This is essentially a User Forum where users like you and me give mutual help and advice and is not an official Sony Support channel.  One or two Sony staff, like Catmambo, do offer help here in their own time but Sony do not regularly monitor these forums and never officially reply on individual cases. You can contact the official Sony Support here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/contacts/tvhc

but at this stage you should try to get your dealer to replace the faulty set.

:thinking:

Bravia55HX

Hi,

Blencogo is right, you should get your dealer to replace the set, it does not matter that he has no stock, if its still available from Sony he can get one from his supplier, my dealer never carries stock and has replaced mine twice!, and it should not matter that you got a good deal, i got a good deal with mine, but that does not enter the equation, the point is its faulty and you are within your rights to have it replaced.

mobily_uk
New

Thanks for all your comments everyone. I really appreciate it!

I telephoned the retailer again and they have confirmed that either repair or full refund are my options as they no longer stock this particular set. I'm not sure where I stand legally as from what I have read if a product is deemed faulty a full refund is a reasonable resolution and there is no obligation for an exchange?

As I have mentioned I got a great deal on this set as I only paid £349.99 with a 5 year warranty. I understand that to get this set from Sony it would cost £649.99!

I am reluctant to get the set repaired due to the inconvenience and the potential that further faults could occur.

I am leaning towards keeping the set as I do have the comfort of the 5 year warranty and going for the repair if the banding worsens or keeps distracting me.

I guess if Sony mess up with a repair they would have to give me a new set anyway!

mobily_uk
New

Hi all,

A further update for those who are interested!

The retailer managed to provide a replacement set which I have just received. Whilst the replacement has much reduced banding there is still one prominent band down the left hand side on panning shots.

I could probably live with this but the picture now seems to have a blur as though when something moves it remains for a split second where it was. This is even with motionflow set to 'clear'.

It might be time for another replacement. I am beginning to think that LED TVs are just full of issues, especially the Bravia range!