Join now - be part of our community!

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

SOLVED
Longbow8

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

Suddenly, no access to Iplayer and error message "Temporarily cannot access the server". TV is hard wired to router at 40Mbps. Computers working OK. Menu option Network>View network status>Check connection gives OK for cable, local access and internet. Refresh Internet Connection does Authenticate and Acquire successfully. However Server diagnostics reports "servers could not be found". Server list is empty and the menu option Update Server List results in a similar "server cannot be found error". Software is latest

PKG4.131EUL-0108

Anyone know what the gremlin is please? Frequently suggested hammer blows of General Setup>Factory Reset and power reset have had no effect.

152 REPLIES 152
Longbow8

If I am left to wait for 4 weeks I will be taking advantage of one of the current offers to replace my Sony with something else. I've just been to Argos and they are offering a 55inch HD LED TV with built in freeview tuner for £349. What a time to mess up your brand image! 

Stevetilsley
Explorer

Thanks Drifter47. I will gladly send Mr de Pauw an email alerting him to the issue and to Sony’s lack of communication with their clients. Can you send me his email address please? Steve
Phelanj4
Explorer

Come on Sony. Get together with BBC to sort this out. It's not the first time that Sony customers have had problems with accessing iPlayer. So far I'm not seeing Sony come back with any intention that they might be having a go at fixing this.   I'm not holding my breath as my guess is that BBC are moving towards subscriptions for this sort of service. If this is what it's all about then pls let us all know.   I'll be raising this with BBC also btw

profile.country.en_GB.title
wraeth
Explorer

I have a KDL-32EX503 and a BDP-5370. From 2010. I've got the same problem with loss of access to iplayer which is not only annoying but instructive as I'm looking at buying an additional TV atm #notsosmartsony

profile.country.en_GB.title
wraeth
Explorer

I see that the BBC iPlayer help page hasn't changed: http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/connected/sony_nov_bravia

riverparratt
Explorer

Both our TV's showing this message after getting fibre last week (or possibly not related, having read this thread)

KDL 46EX713 bought 2010, KDL 40EX503, bought 2011 because first TV was so good and I was diagnosed with brain tumour so needed SMART TV for a years bedrest after surgery.

I will be so angry with Sony if this isn't resolved. SO much money spent  just to keep our spirits up and now after 4 years, no use!  Am contacting WHICH? now and alerting them.  We used WHICH? to source this TV as I now only have hearing in one ear,  and I will push for them to resolve it or blacken SONY. 

SONY - your choice...listen to your customers!

riverparratt
Explorer

Have alerted WHICH? today and included the link to this forum.

Drifter47

Try BBC Watchdog, their email address is on the Watchdog website.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all

Just to let you all know, I have had some feedback fom Sony today.  They are aware of the issue but at current there is no ETA on a resolution.  Sony has tried to implement a fix on their servers, which failed - however it is now in the hands of the BBC to implement a fix on their end.

Cheers

riverparratt
Explorer

I have contacted Watchdog but doubt that they are indipendent enough to criticise their own company!  Anyway, complaint logged and link to here also logged.