Join now - be part of our community!

KDL40NX713 gap in side casing

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
markalroberts
Visitor

KDL40NX713 gap in side casing

Hello,

I've had my TV for less than a week now - I've noticed there is a bit of a gap (couple of mm) between where the back of the case joins the front (glossy screen sheet), on both sides of the set.

I am a bit worried that this will let in dust/thunder flies which will really annoy me!!!!

Anyone know if this is a problem (my set doesn't seem unusual)... and if there is a seal futher in to ensure that this gap doesn't let stuff in?

Many thanks!

Mark.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bravia55HX

Hi,

no its not right, it should be flush, i almost took delivery of my 923 that had the same thing till my dealer noticed it and said he was not happy with that, it would be all too easy when cleaning the screen to "catch it", and break the corner off although admittedly you would have to go some to do it, mine went back for a replacement but on a nearly 3 grand set, so it should!

would also like to add that theres no worry of thunderflies and dust getting behind it as the gorilla glass is bonded to the set and if anything was to settle behind there you wont see it anyway as the black "border" round the edge covers that.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Catmambo
Contributor

Can you post a pic?

Thanks

sama1992
Visitor

im experiencing the same thing heres a pic, is it normal?

Bravia55HX

Hi,

no its not right, it should be flush, i almost took delivery of my 923 that had the same thing till my dealer noticed it and said he was not happy with that, it would be all too easy when cleaning the screen to "catch it", and break the corner off although admittedly you would have to go some to do it, mine went back for a replacement but on a nearly 3 grand set, so it should!

would also like to add that theres no worry of thunderflies and dust getting behind it as the gorilla glass is bonded to the set and if anything was to settle behind there you wont see it anyway as the black "border" round the edge covers that.

sama1992
Visitor

Right, do you know what causes it to not sit flush? as ive seen several on the net like this.

Is there any potential for it to come further away from the screen? or get worse? as i might be tempted to live with it to save the hassle of replacing it.

Bravia55HX

Hi sama1992,

im not best placed to answer this as i am not a technician, this is part of the manufacturing process with all these later screens using the Gorilla glass and i believe its part of the bonding process that has not quite gone right, perhaps a little too much adhesive in those areas, there should be no cause for alarm, its highly unlikely to come apart or move any further, if your happy not to soarce a replacement then thats your choice.

hope that helps.

sama1992
Visitor

Thanks for your reply bravia, i think i will live with it then as when we first got it a few days ago from john lewis we noticed it had been previously setup with the batterys in the remote, so it may have been replaced before from this very reason.

BUT we rang them up regarding this and WITHOUT mentioning the corner (as we didnt notice at that time), the sales rep fairly quickly gave us a £100.95 refund off the full price we paid so it only costed us £629 + it came with a free 3d blu ray player. So if we do source a replacement its very likely we will lose the £100 refund which for this minor cosmetic issue, isnt worth it.

The tv is fantastic, no doubt about that, havent tried 3d yet but 2d images are beautiful. Every feature works as intended and as long as it doesnt get worse, i will be happy keeping it. Plus it does come with a 5 year warranty.

Bravia55HX

sama1992,

John Lewis's customer care is excellent in that respect, however a little surprised that it may have been opened previously and perhaps they should have told you that when you purchased it but as you say its not an isue as you have the excellent 5 year warranty plus the money off! so a good deal indeed.

dont get overly excited with the 3D, i personally feel it needs a few more years yet to get it absolutely bang on, dont get me wrong for most its ok and im ok with mine but its not for everyone.

sama1992
Visitor

Yes we were a bit surprised but it definately has been opened before, in what circumstance, i do not know. But there were obvious signs such as two layers of tape on the tv box and sound bar box, a couple of little rips on the inside packaging, the fact that the tv has been setup and all stations programmed in, batterys in the remote and the plastic instruction packaging had been opened. But as you say i dont think i should be worried about it as its all in working order and with the money off and warranty it will cover it if anything were to go wrong. Not that i guess will as its replaced our old 1st gen lcd 32" panasonic which is 6 years old and still working perfectly fine.

Yeah im not a 3d enthusiast but i might get some 3d blu ray especially avatar for the more novelty factor. You say it needs a few more years but toshiba has already released a glasses less 3d tv! costs £7000 mind.