Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-50W829B Audio Issue

profile.country.GB.title
robmello
Explorer

KDL-50W829B Audio Issue

I have this TV and today bought a set of Sony Wireless Headphones 

MDR-DS6500.

Issue I have is that when using the apps on the TV (Netflix, Iplayer), it is not transmitting Dolby Digital to the receiver. I have tried also testing it with TV channels on the TV's tuner and no DD there either (despite the EPG confirming programmes are being broadcast in DD).

I am flumoxed as to why. I am getting Dolby fine when connecting my Tivo box direct to the receiver. Haven't tried my Bluray Player but presume again I will get DD if plugged in direct.

Other connected equipment is a HT-XT1 sound stage (via the HDMI ARC input of the TV).

Can anyone clear this up for me? Pretty sure it's not a fault of the receiver for the headphones as it can receive DD from other sources.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Can you please explain how everything is connected up, using what types of cables?  You cannot use the headphones connected via optical cable to the tv if you alread have the HT-XT1 connected to HDMI-ARC port of the TV.

_20160518_231910.JPG

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
robmello
Explorer

Hi,

The HT-XT1 is connected to TV via HDMI. My Tivo and Bluray are fed in via the HT-XT1 (it has a total of 3 HDMI) inputs.

Headphone receiver is connected via optical out on TV with optical cable.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you get audio at all on the headphones?  Because if so, im curious on how you swap audio between the soundbar and headphones.

profile.country.GB.title
robmello
Explorer

Yes and getting a reasonably strong performance at that.

I need to go into Sound settings to alternate between TV Speakers and HT-XT1 for them each to work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahh, i see :slight_smile:

Anyway, i think your issue might lie with the configuration of the 'digital audio out' settimgs on the tv.  unfortunately, the website that Sony holds its manuals seems to be down at the moment, so i cant put my finger on which setting or settings to change.  have a look into these settings and maybe the other audio settings too.  Turn off compression etc.

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/14HE468111/EN/index.html

profile.country.GB.title
robmello
Explorer

OK, now I'm really confused lol.

I hit the options button whilst watching Netflix and it gave me options again of switching between TV and Audio System.

When changed to Audio System, I am now getting DD via my Headphones AND the HT-XT1 simultaneously!!

I've ordered a three way optical cable splitter so I can have Bluray, TV and Tivo all connected to the headphone receiver at the same time. I *think* that should solve the problem as going direct from device to the receiver seems to carry DD no problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol - i always thought it was weird that it even worked that way :slight_smile:

Let me know how you get on, as im curious to know.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
robmello
Explorer

Right, I have found a solution. 

The aforementioned optical splitter means I get DD from my TV's apps, it's Tuner and also my Tivo box.

The only fly in the ointment is that my Bluray player only has a digital co-ax out, so I would need to buy a co-ax to optical convertor for that. I probably won't bother as the player rarely gets used and I can still get Dolby Prologix IIx via the headphones with it (on the rare occasion that I will watch a disc).

However I am a shamless completist and if I last the night not ordering one via Amazon, I will be amazed:smileylaugh: