Join now - be part of our community!

iPlayer buffering and memory problems on KDL-40W605B

Ruth-777
Explorer

iPlayer buffering and memory problems on KDL-40W605B

I have a KDL-40W605B which I recently updated to firmware PKG3.004EUA. Since then my iPlayer has been flaky at best. It regularly buffers, with a low point today of approx 4-5 seconds of viewing for each 20-30 seconds of buffering. On the rare occasions when it is watchable for a sensible period, I find that iPlayer crashes due to insufficient memory if I try to watch a second programme when the first ends. I can live with the crashes when changing programmes, but the buffering makes it unwatcheable.

iPlayer works fine on my iPad and Panasonic TV, the problems are specific to the Sony and only seem to have started since the firmware update. I use an Ethernet connection via home plugs, and have tried changing the plug but with no noticeable improvement.

Any further ideas/suggestions gratefully received!

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have looked on the BBC iPlayer website and at current, no one else is reporting this issue - either there or on these forums.  As this has occured after a FW update - I would advise doing a factory reset.  See instructions : HERE.

Cheers

Ruth-777
Explorer

Thanks for your reply and suggestion.

I've reset the Factory Settings, but am still finding that iPlayer crashes when changing programmes. I'll have to monitor the buffering issue for a day or two to see if that is resolved - it seemed ok on a very limited test for a few minutes, but was sometimes ok and sometimes unwatchable previously so it's too soon to tell if the issue is resolved. 

SEN has also sometimes become very slow to load (which also happened before the reset). It can take a matter of minutes before the apps are displayed, but other times they appear almost immediately. As with the iPlayer buffering problems, although intermittent this doesn't seem to have any correlation to other internet usage in the house.

I've run a speed check and the broadband speed is as expected. On occasion I've given up with iplayer and switched to watching on my ipad instead without any problems, so I don't think it's a bandwidth problem.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Ruth-777

Sorry I never replied back straight away, but yes I do have another suggestion.... Try adding/changing the DNS server settings on the TV to Googles, which is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Sony also have created some instructions for this too:

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/84346/

Cheers

Ruth-777
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,

Thanks for your second suggestion, which I've only just had a chance to try. Unfortunately this hasn't worked - I got as far as saving the revised network setup, but both the Local and Internet connections were flagged as failed. I noticed that the IP address of the Default Gateway was the same as that of the primary DNS server - should I change that to 8.8.8.8 as well?

In terms of behaviour, the problems now seem to be starting further back. THe SEN takes an age to load, I can rarely load a programme within iPlayer and can rarely connect to my Mezzmo server through the media player. Performance seems to getting worse rather than better, and I'm unable to use any of the Smart TV functionality on a regular basis - some times it works but more often than not it doesn't!

Prior to the firmware update I only had problems very occasionally and when there was heavy internet usage elsewhere in the house, but now it is rare to get anything to work reliably. 

I've rechecked the broadband speed which is fine, and don't have problems on other devices, the problems are specific to the Sony TV. It's only 2 1/2 years old, so although out of warranty is still new enough that I wasn't planning on replacing it just yet.

Thanks