Join now - be part of our community!

I was told my TV came with a 5 year warranty!

orakevin
Explorer

I was told my TV came with a 5 year warranty!

The Sony sales rep and the Manager in the shop that sold me the TV I purchased, a KD-55X9005A, both told me that the TV came with a 5 year warranty.  When I registered my product just now, it says I have a one year warranty, but that I can buy a 5 year plan.

Please tell me what gives here?

Tags (1)
41 REPLIES 41
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi orakevin,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..:smileyhappy:

If you believe you were offered a five year warranty then have you spoken to the retailer that you bought your Bravia from the one year is the standard warranty but there is an offer on the Sony online store for a five year extended warranty for £0.01..

profile.country.GB.title
JapanMan2
Contributor

Years and years ago when I bought a Sony TV with a "5 year warranty", I had to send off the paper work, within a month later I got a certificate stated I had a 5 year warranty with the TV.

Not sure if it's still the same, I would suggest talking to the Sony sales rep for more information.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Have you checked your sales receipt? Some retailer's offer their own extended warranties, it may mention this on your receipt. If not check if you have any other paperwork from the shop.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
orakevin
Explorer

First of all, I am in the Republic of Ireland and the link you provided doesn't work.

Second: Lies, Lies, and More Lies!  The lying rat Sony Sales Rep stood there showing me a "Demo" of House of Cards in 4K from Netflix, and told me "Oh sure, no problem.  This TV (55X9005A) will stream 4K content from Netflix."  Lies, pure & simple.

I was told it had a 5 year warranty by the same lying rat Sony Sales Rep.

Last Sony I will ever buy, after having purchased 3 Sony TVs over the last 10 years or so. (And a Sony Vaio Laptop, and a Blue Ray player, and a DVD player, and an integrated amplifier.)

Screw me once, shame on you; Screw me twice, I don't think so...  Never again.

Tags (2)
profile.country.GB.title
Stevea007
Explorer

Me too?

Tauruslad
New

Me too 

Feen1x75
Explorer

The 55X9005A WILL stream Netflix with the additon of the Netflix 4k/ HEVC H.265 Codec to your smart TV. As you will see from the model numbers below it shows that your KD-55X9005A WILL stream Netflix, Netflix having been launched in Ireland on Monday 9th January 2012 and your TV model was a 2013 release. You just have to do a little bit of tweaking in order to get it to run properly.

Unfortunately your "A" model was released BEFORE this was possible "straight out of the box" as is with the bang up to date 2015 models, but has since been retro fixed with the above codec/patch release. So the Sony rep WASN'T in actual fact, lying to you, it's just that all the information wasn't imparted to you at the point of purchase. Just becuase YOU are unable to get it to work or do some troubleshooting does NOT mean that the rep misled you into buying the product. I've lifted some information for you on how to possibly retro fix this step by step.

As with the five year guarantee - this is the remit of Sony centres and independent registered Sony product dealers such as Euronics stores. However places like Currys WON'T give you an extended guarantee as standard when purchasing a Sony product, seeing as you state that you spoke to a "Rat Sony Rep", that would indicate to me you were in a Sony centre purchasing your TV. With the Sony 5 yr warranty, it's a two part A4 form to fill out and should be done by the dearler/sales person at point of purchase.... I would suggest you ring the Sony centre and they will be able to retro grant you a 5yr warranty, as your purchasing records will still be registered with themselves. If they won't then I suggest you call your local Sony Centre or their local head office (Number and details below).

PHONE:01 413 1771

Opening hours:
Monday to Friday: 09:00 - 18:00

"....unfortunately with some Smart technology today it's more intelligent than it's owner. IQ tests should be taken when buying iTechnology and other Smart branded products"

How to resolve Netflix playback problems

The Netflix application may not start if one of the following error messages is displayed:

• "The application is temporary unavailable. Please try again later."
  • "Title Not Available for Playback."
  • "We are having trouble playing this title right now, please try again later."
  • "We're having trouble playing this title right now. Please try again later or select a different title."

To activate the Netflix application, please follow below steps.

NOTE: The service provided by Netflix is not available in all countries, and may not be available for your Sony product.

1. Deactivate and reactivate the Netflix application as outlined below.

1. Launch the Netflix app.
    2. Using the arrows on your remote controller, enter the following sequence: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Up, Up, Up.
    3. Select Deactivate and exit the screen.
    4. Restart the Netflix app and sign in to your account.
  2. Test the Internet connection of your device by trying to connect to an application other than Netflix.Perform network/Internet troubleshootingor re-establish the Internet connection again if you are unable to connect to the Internet. Please refer to the user manual or i-manual of the set.
  3. Attempt to search for the title again in Netflix.
  4. Try to play another title in Netflix.
  5. Restart your device by unplugging it from the power outlet for at least 10 seconds, then plug it back in and turn it on.
  6. Check if there are any firmware updates available to the device via the network software update function.
  7. If the above steps do not solve the problem, perform a factory resetand do the setup again.

NOTE: For TVs; the Netflix application is only available in models from 2012 and later.

2012 TV Models:

KDL-22EX55x
KDL-26EX55x
KDL-32EX65x
KDL-40EX65x
KDL-46EX65x
KDL-32HX75x
KDL-40HX75x
KDL-46HX75x
KDL-55HX75x
KDL-40HX85x
KDL-46HX85x
KDL-55HX85x
KDL-55HX95x
KDL-65HX95x
KD-84X9005

2013 TV Models:

****************KD-55X9005A*****************
KD-65X9005A
KDL-24W605A
KDL-32W60xA
KDL-32W65xA
KDL-40W905A
KDL-42W65xA
KDL-42W80xA
KDL-46W905A
KDL-47W80xA
KDL-50W656A
KDL-50W685A
KDL-55W80xA
KDL-55W905A
KDL-65W855A

2014 TV Models:

KD-49X8505B
KD-55X8505B
KD-55X9005B
KD-65S9005B
KD-65X8505B
KD-65X9005B
KD-75S9005B
KD-79X9005B
KD-85X9505B
KDL-32W70xB
KDL-40W605B
KDL-42W70xB
KDL-42W805B
KDL-42W815B
KDL-42W82xB
KDL-48W585B
KDL-48W605B
KDL-50W70xB
KDL-50W805B
KDL-50W815B
KDL-50W82xB
KDL-55W805B
KDL-55W815B
KDL-55W82xB
KDL-55W955B
KDL-60W605B
KDL-60W855B
KDL-65W955B

art-wales
Explorer

I have just purchased a 4K tv from currys and was told the 12month warranty would be extended to 5years

ive completed the registration, but no mention of an extendedwarranty

Art wales

malcolm1962

art-wales wrote:

I have just purchased a 4K tv from currys and was told the 12month warranty would be extended to 5years

ive completed the registration, but no mention of an extendedwarranty

Art wales

See here:

http://services.sony.co.uk/support/files/services/en_gb/Extended_Warranty_Terms_Conditions.pdf

It took me over 4 weeks to get Currys to provide me with this information and I eventually complained to their CEO.