Join now - be part of our community!

HD television

profile.country.en_GB.title
jamesandjessie
Visitor

HD television

How do I tune my BraviaHD ready TVto receivefree to air HD channels?It currently recognises the channel when I auto tuneand will play the soundbut no picture.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

HD ready unfortunately doesn't mean that it's able to receive HD TV channels, it just means that it has enough pixel to support 720p or 1080i source.

In order to receive OTA HD channels you have to have an HD Digital tuner, and the symptoms you see (audio but no video) demonstrate that your tv set does not have it. Probably it is a set older than 3/4 years because  Sony was an early adopter of HD digital tuner on all the tv set.

I'm sorry.

jamesandjessie
Visitor

Thanks for that. Yes my set is 5/6years old.I live in France and receive englishchannels via sattelite. Would a Humak foxsat freesat  decoder   do the  trick  for  me  ?   My current attempts have been with  French   terrestial  channels  via  an  ordinary  aerial   and I accept  your answer about having to  have an  HD digital  tuner.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Dear jamesandjessie,

if you connect a decoder (sat or DVB-t) via HDMI to your tv you will get the result you are looking for. By the way, since I don't think there is any channel that brodcast to a definition higher than 1080i this configuration will meet the capability of your tv set and you can still enjoy it. The only problem is that you'll have to deal with different remotes (or buy some all-in-one like the Harmony one)

jamesandjessie
Visitor

Thank you rooob. I will purchase a new decoder  to replace  my old one. You have been very helpful.