Join now - be part of our community!

Ex-display Bravia

clarkyleeds
Explorer

Ex-display Bravia

Hi All,

I have a problem with 2 Bravia KDL-40EX521 that were once used to display advertisments in a shop. They cannot find any channels when I run the auto tune, the antenna is good (tested on another TV) and I have the latest firmware and the autotune range is set to full. 

I have contacted Sony support and they have told me to take to a service centre.  I'm wondering if there is something disabled in the factory so they are licence exempt???

Any help would be very appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The TVs are probably in 'shop' mode.  They will need a full factory reset.  Goto: Settings > System Settings > General Set up > Factory settings and follow onscreen instructions.

Cheers

clarkyleeds
Explorer

Thanks for the quick reply. I have reset, chosen home and autotuned again, still no channels. Message said connect antenna but I'm confident the antenna is good.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Hmm.  Can you try another aerial cable - even as a test. Question - why are you confident that the aerial/antenna is 'good'.  Have you used a freeview tv on it beforehand?  How long ago?

Cheers

clarkyleeds
Explorer

I've tried the antenna on samsung TV and it work fine. I'd suspect a fault with the Sony and its tunner however as I have 2 and they are both the same I wondered if it was something specific to TV's supplied for instore advertisment displays??

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im not 100% sure on this, but it might be possible to restrict the inbuilt tuner when in 'hotel' mode.  Unfortunately your going to have to take the original advice from Sony and take it to a service centre.  If it is in 'hotel mode' and the tuner is disabled, they can unlock it.  But its also entirely possible that it could be hardware faults.  However on 2 TVs , the odds are against in my opinion- but the EX521 range is 5 years old now.

Unfortunately, im not sure on what else to suggest im afraid.  

Cheers

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi

Quinnicus is right. TVs are usually left to Hotel Mode by mistake.On  Older TVs this could be a part of Service Mode.

A service center will solve since they know the remote control key combination or you can google search and find out. Of course procedure is risky since you are not familiar with electronics.

clarkyleeds
Explorer

Thanks for the advice, i'll try to get into the service menu. If no joy I'll take to service centre. last resort is to not use tunner and get freeview box

Many thanks

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

This is very risky. I think this model has a different way to Enter this kind of Mode and not through Service Mode. Contact Service center and do not experiment. You might brick your TV or alter default settings of your display which is already factory calibrated