Join now - be part of our community!

CX52 vs CX520 vs CX523

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Palmeros
Visitor

CX52 vs CX520 vs CX523

What is the difference between all of the CX 52 models of Sony LCD TVs?  There is little on the internet that explains the difference.  There is little on the internet that even acknowledges that the CX52 model even exists.   The reason I ask is I just purchased a 32CX52 from Currys and after asking twice they confirmed it had a Freeview HD tuner, but nothing in the instruction manual and no FreeviewHD logo or anything similar appears on the TV, so think I've been conned.  Can anyone help?

Thanks

Palmeros

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
alexjonessony1
Visitor

Hi there,

Just seen your post on Facebook & I assume you are in the UK market.

The 32CX520 is defiantly Freeview SD(standard def) only!

The 32CX523 is Freeview HD

You mention a CX52 it is most likely is just a CX520 - the model number has just been shortened.
You can look at the back of your television to see what you have.

Hope this helps.

Alex

Sales Manager - Potters Home-Digital

Kent, UK

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
alexjonessony1
Visitor

Hi there,

Just seen your post on Facebook & I assume you are in the UK market.

The 32CX520 is defiantly Freeview SD(standard def) only!

The 32CX523 is Freeview HD

You mention a CX52 it is most likely is just a CX520 - the model number has just been shortened.
You can look at the back of your television to see what you have.

Hope this helps.

Alex

Sales Manager - Potters Home-Digital

Kent, UK

Palmeros
Visitor

Thanks so much for your advice.  It was a CX523 in the end, even though the box says CX50, and it does have a Freeview HD tuner.

Second problem is to work out how to stream my iTunes movie/TV library to the TV which I should be able to do but does not appear to be as simple to set up as it should be.  The files I have are all legal content that I have paid for, but seems that Sony TVs do not recognise the iTunes format.

Best regards

Palmeros

Catmambo
Contributor

I thinks its down to the DRM wrapper and Apple's walled garden approach which means they don't generally use open standards like DLNA, instead create their own standard called Airplay. Indeed I'm not sure you'll find any device other than an Apple device that can receive movies streamed from iTunes.

Try installing a DLNA server on your computer like Serviio on your computer and point it towards your iTunes films, but I'm not sure it will work...

Thanks

Palmeros
Visitor

Thanks for the explanation.  I have spent a lot of money on Apple hardware and iTunes content and does not seem right to me that I would not be able to view this content on a TV.  Very frustrating and it is these sort of restrictions that drives people to download illegal content, because at least you know that works.

The other solution I suppose is to buy an Apple TV and run it all through that but: 1. more cost to me and money to Apple; and 2. one of the reasons I purchased this Sony TV was the ability to stream my video content to it without having another box like an Apple TV hanging off the back of it.

I'll work something out, thanks for all your help.

Palmeros

Catmambo
Contributor

Indeed and I personally agree, thats one of the current major limitations with 'download to own' digital video and buying it from some vendors does tie you into their ecosystem forever....Music suffered for a while but now, most purchased music is downloaded as .mp3 which is very widley used.

Initiatives like Ultraviolet will help to address this, but it relies on companies signing up to support it.

Thanks