Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer not working - brand new TV!

SOLVED

BBC iPlayer not working - brand new TV!

Hi community! Hope you can help.

Just bought a new Sony Bravia TV - KDL43WD754. Was told it was a 2016 Model - now not so sure!

All internet apps work except BBC iPlayer. App loads, you can see the programmes etc but when you go to play anything, the circle spins for a while then the following message is displayed:

"02001

Something went wrong loading this programme. This is usually a temporary problem. You can try this programme again or try a different programme"

Has been doing this for the last week since we got it. No issues with connectivity, have wifi speeds of around 30Mb, all other apps work without issue, TV software completely up to date.

Have been on the BBC website for support which states 'BigScreen' iPlayer is being discontinued as of Sept 2016, but states that this model not affected.

This TV's iPlayer however does say that it is on BigScreen:

BigScreen Version: 4.5.58.1 (Thu Sep 22 2016 12:39:39 GMT+0000 (UTC))

Framework Version: 5.0.4

Any guidance would be appreciated. One of the biggest reasons for getting this TV (over a cheaper bigscreen and, say, an apple TV box) was for the inbuilt apps. Not having iPlayer - meaning no Bake Off for my wife - means it feels like a waste!

Thanks guys!

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
twizzle230
Explorer

Hi 

I have a Sony KD49XE8396. BBC iplayer loads but the selected programme will not play. It worked for the first 2 days after purchase but then failed. I have two other devices that connect to the same router and play iplayer successfully so it is not a network problem. Also, Netflix connects and plays programmes fine. I have done a factory re-set, loaded the latest firmware, deleted NOW TV and reinstalled the programme, switched between wired and wireless connection and more with Sony support (they are now escalating this). Any ideas?

profile.country.GB.title
Vic_the_Red
New

Hi
Had similar problems, did a factory reset followed by a software update. Iplayer has even fine since then. Hope this helps, Sony help desk was useless.

Sent from my iPad
profile.country.GB.title
twizzle230
Explorer

Hi

Sadly not.

I have found the solution though. The Sony Smart TV and the BT Smart Hub are
dumb! I had to disable the BT Smart Hub feature (BT Hub v5 broadband
router). BBC iplayer then worked.

Sony and BT need to agree Smart standards to ensure compatibility.
profile.country.GB.title
robdee1000
Explorer

I had the same problem but realised that within the YouView menu (my TV has YouView built in) there is a menu with all the player apps in there. Go to YouView, press blue for the menu, go to players and enjoy.