Join now - be part of our community!

55NX720 will not pass 5.1 audio from external input through ARC (Audio Return Channel)

Pottypotsworth
Explorer

55NX720 will not pass 5.1 audio from external input through ARC (Audio Return Channel)

Hi all,

This is my first post here as I wasn't aware of the Sony community until now.

I'll try and keep this post as short as possible, but there are quite a few things that I need to outline so that everything is clear in terms of what is, and what isn't working.

Basically, I bought a NX55720 TV about 3 years ago now, it came with a DVD 5.1 Receiver as part as a bundle, the receiver has no HDMI inputs bar the one that connects to the TV which is ARC capable.

For the past 3 years I have been trying to solve the mystery as to why the TV will not 'pass through' 5.1 from an external HDMI input connected to itself through the ARC into the receiver but I have never found the answer.

I have a Macmini which is my main media center. The Macmini is connected to the TV via HDMI but I have a seperate TOSLINK cable to supply the audio from the Mini directly to the DVD receiver, this is the only way I can get 5.1 surround to output correctly. However, each time I want to watch something i have to change the settings on the receiver to disable the ARC so that the TOSLINK Audio will 'activate' and it's a pain in the a**.

Any device connected to the TV via HDMI will either result in 2 channel audio being passed through the ARC, or complete silence.

It absolutely baffles me that Sony would sell an all in one solution which doesn't even support surround sound. I know that old LG TV's wouldn't pass DTS audio through the ARC unless the location was set to Korea due to licensing issues, is the same true for Sony and my set?

Basically, i'm looking for anyone who is knowledgable about this sort of thing to explain why this is the case and if there is anyway around it which I haven't thought of?

Many thanks.

P.s I just wanted to edit to add... The other reason (despite having to change settings on the receiver everytime i want to watch something o the mini) why this is annoying is because the cable box, the WiiU (LPCM only), my IPTV etc etc are all connected via HDMI into the TV. If i wanted to get the 5.1 surround from say the Cable box, i would have to unplug the TOSLINK from the mini and plug it directly from the cable box into the receiver.

1 REPLY 1
Pottypotsworth
Explorer

So I just bought a PS4, and installed the Plex application.

Interestingly enough the PS4 seems to pass 5.1 audio through the HDMI cable to the TV and the receiver will output 5.1 after receiving it through the ACR.

This only works with the PS4, none of my other devices.

Which begs the question, are Sony limiting 5.1 passthrough on this set to their own products?