Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia S Battery Drain

SOLVED
Not applicable

Xperia S Battery Drain

I know we're dealing with Android OS here, which isnt the greatest when it comes to battery life but even after setting all connections to manual sync the battery drops rather quickly. Is it just me or is anyone else having the same issue. Lets see if we can get a Bug Fix out of this. 

124 REPLIES 124
max98
Visitor

I'm also getting the same problem on the first few days I used my phone. Battery last for like 5-7 hours. What I did was repaired my ICS thru PCC, factory reset the phone, settings reset after the factory the I let my battery to always drain until it turns off then charge it to 100% but I do't unplugged it for 2 more hours. Today is my first week and battery is way much better than before. I play music, HD games, watch movies, surf the internet. But those usage are not continuos but in a timely manner since I have limited time. But the battery doesn't drain overnight when it is in sleep mode. I just turn off everything and set the phone to airplane mode. Battery last more than a day but with heavy usage with the internet with downloads and surfing the battery last less than 24 hrs.

wiranto23
Visitor

The battery life is really2 poor. I've been using this phone for 3 months now, so the battery should be in the top permonance as per comment from sony support. However, it seems the battery is pretty bad. I took a screenshoot as well, the consumption for Android OS looks ridiculous here. It takes about 50% of my battery, not considering the android system, cell standby, wi-fi, phone idle, which means even though i'm doing nothing, my phone will drop insanely quick. I really hope Sony support can do something with the efficiency of the OS or anything that can make my phone last a day with a normal consumption. At the moment, i really have to limit my consumption as the idle phone (Android OS, cell standby, Android systment) consume most of my battery. See below of my screenshot, btw these 2 screenshot is not in the same day

.Screenshot_2012-09-11-17-17-04.pngScreenshot_2012-09-12-15-46-24.png

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

that doesn't look bad at all, is this your first smartphone, that's a really good battery life, consider the mAh this battery has, and that you have a taskiller/antivirus/battery app(s) running and draining your battery, is not bad at all

AliWonder
Visitor

I have read all the posts about terrible battery life of android phones, but is it REALLY normal to have to charge the phone every single day, when I am hardly even using it? –

- I have the Wi-Fi & Internet switched off;

- At the moment I don’t play games, listen to music or videos;

- I’ve switched off every single App I can find that is not being used;

- ALL I do is send a few texts & speak on the phone maybe 10-15 minutes each day.

- I do keep it on overnight as it's my alarm clock, but with the screen dark etc & this does not use much battery.

Really if I have to charge it daily just on the basis of such minimal use, I dread to think what will happen if I ever do need to use to e.g. to listen to music on a long journey!

Is this really normal? Is there something I’m doing wrong here? Should I just be charging it overnight every single night, as during the day I am not always close to a socket where I can charge it (this poor battery life is really impractical, apart from anything else). I always understood that excessive charging ruins the battery.

My battery info looks like this (can't send screenshot at the moment):

Screen: 36% (this is often a lot more than this however).Android system: 29%

Cell standby (what is this??) 20%

Phone idle (? Why is it using battery when idle?) 10%

Google services (? what's this?) 3%

Bluetooth: 3% (this is normally switched off).

Bobeobi
Contributor

Battery drain become  very huge with last update

moolash
Visitor

Folks... I'm having mine for about 5-6 days now.

I did the ICS update right after unboxing it.

Let's be realistic: we have a huge, nice HD screen, 3G, WiFi and all. We cannot expect 3 days from a phone like this.

BUT it shouldn't be THIS dramatically BAD either.

It should be able to make it from morning to at least evening.

And IT IS THE SCREEN!!!!! Eating up 70%.

Please, SONY.... fix this. I don't want another phone.

uzvarb
Visitor

Do any of you have complied with the warning that the battery before first start charging a minimum of 30 minutes?

Tilden
Visitor

If the screen consumes over 75% of your power, I'd suggest you to reduce the brightness of your screen.  I set it to abt 20% and it is very clear already even under sun light (as it will adjust brigtness automatically).

moolash
Visitor

It is the screen - no question.

I've set the brightness to halfway - that helped a lot.

The battery screen is clear that screen display drains the battery the most.

(of course we can expect this from a HD screen but should be better indeed)

there's also a wake issue - that may cause the drain too.

Having the battery charged for 30 mins for the first time makes no sense to me.

It is not a battery issue - it is something DRAINING the battery stronger than it should.

I know an update will fix this.

mirajkar_aniket
Visitor

I have been using the phone at 20% brightness for a month or so. But it has not helped in any way to improve the battery life. I dont even have any background apps(task killers, antivirus, battery savers) running. The battery problem is too much as compared to other smartphones. :smileyplain::smileysad: