Join now - be part of our community!

upgrade from old str-va555es re use

upgrade from old str-va555es re use

Upgraded my good old 555es and thought lets upgrade the amp in the games room/pit so my son can have the 7.1 surround in there as have a spare amp and speakers never used the two amp set up in main room and despite following the instructions cant get the signal out to the additional amp anyone had a system set up working must be doing something wrong but cant see what  shame not to "recycle " the amp fully as its a lovely old beast

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

What make/model is your new AMP? Does it have Zone 2 operation? That's normally how you connect two amps together.

Yes it's s shame to throw out a good amp, they don't make them like they used too! I prefer to use the term 'Upcycle' if you plan to re-use it. :slight_smile:

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14

New amp is a sony  and is fine and connecting it up is no  problem it has all the amp outputs for all the speakers in my main tv room  its the old amp that I cant get to use with spare amp in the room the tribe use for games I always used it set up with single rear centre speaker  but now have the option according to the hand book to connect the output rear l/r from the back of the amp (not using it to drive a centre rear) to the aux in of another amp to get seperate l/r rear Tried following the intructions in the user manual but must be missing something as cant get the amp to budge from providing a driven output for a single rear to providing as it should a preout l/r  for rear. Tried full reset but going round like the usalum bird

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@gruntfuttock60

I'm sorry I don't quite understand what your trying to ask, you mention that you have a new Sony amp which is working fine but you also want to connect your spare amp to an older amp is that correct?

What I don't understand is why you want to connect two amps together if it is only to achieve left and right audio, surely both amps can do that without connecting them together?

Can you rephrase your question and punctuate your sentences a little better, it's difficult following your last post.

Thanks

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14

Buy new amp which leaves me with strva555es not being used

New amp fine in tv room

Games room has no surround sound amp

Want to use old amp totally unconnected to new amp in games room. Have plenty of speakers collected over years that can be used.

Old amp previously used in TV room set up when used there with single back speaker but has capacity to provide output  (pre out l/r rear)to a second amp to get full 7.1 ( the old amp used in the games room in this instance) but despite following set up cant get to to do this keeps on providing speaker output for single rear not switching this off and l/r preout on

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@gruntfuttock60

Hi there,

I don't know if I'm being reall thick or you're still not explaining this very clearly, sorry but I'm struggling to get my head around what you're trying to do.

To clarify..

New Sony Amp is being used in your TV room - No other connections are being made to this AMP

STR VA555ES to be connected to an older AMP in the games room, is that correct?

If the new Sony AMP is not a part of this equation it's probably better to not mention that so as not to confuse the issue more.

The mention of the new amp was in passing and to provide reason why change of use of old amp

but you have the issue I think

The old amp set up for driving itself a centre rear speaker now want to use it with the "true" 7.1 by

switching as per manual to not driving itself a rear speaker but providing via the rear preouts labeled rear l/r signal to aux in on sperate amp

So from:

front r/l + centre+ surround l/r+one centre rear all driven by amp itself+preout to selfpowered sub woofer

to:

front r/l + centre+ surround l/r all driven by amp itself+preout out to selfpowered sub woofer+preout l/r to seperate amp to drive rear l/r speakers

Despite resetting amp and following instructions amp still stays in mode providing drive for centre rear itself and fails to provide preout rear l/r

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

As you pointed out, yes perhaps the issue is mine.

No doubt if you wait long enough someone will manage to decipher what your intentions are, unfortunately I cannot, sorry!

slinky by that I meant I thought you "had" as in grasped the issue

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@gruntfuttock60

No sadly not, I have tried but your explanation is really confusing and makes no sense to me at all which is why I mentioned maybe someone else will help.

Not wishing to labour the point but if I were standing in the same room as you and could see your equipment I would most likely understand straight away. Sadly however I don't have that luxury and instead must rely on your descrition to be as clear as possible. 

Sometimes it helps if you can provide a diagramme using Windows Paint or draw it on a piece of paper and scan before uploading to this post? You can attach images using the editor at the top of your replies. Maybe if I can see exactly what you're trying to do it would be easier to understand.

Hope that helps...