Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Blu-Ray BDP S3100 Wifi HELP!

SOLVED
richfan10
Explorer

Sony Blu-Ray BDP S3100 Wifi HELP!

hi!

can anyone help - im trying to connect my new blu ray play via wifi (its a wifi enabled btw) but I'm getting no where - ok it will wire up if I plug it into my router but Wifi is a no-go can ANYONE help? Arrggggh driving me mad lol :O)

thanks! 

22 REPLIES 22
richfan10
Explorer

I think the smoking gun for me is this is error message ..

USB wireless LAN Adapter cannot be found.  Please insert a compatible wireless device into the unit's USB port and try again.  if a wireless device is already inserted, please check the device.

going on that I reckon its deffinately broken or something fundementaly wrong with the player as its WiFi enabled 

Iv printed the label for a return to Amazon shame really just got to send it back only to get another one :O( 

Out of curiosty if i manualy set it up whats the DNS settings Sub Mask ect ect do you have any idea?

Iv followed youtube vidoes but they dont seem to help ...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your right about that USB Lan....

Subnet mask is normally : 255.255.255.0 (your PC/Laptop/router would be able to confirm that)

DNS : Your routers IP address (for me)

paul.widdas
Explorer

Hi your problem is you need a wifi dongle from sony to connect to wifi. THE UNIT IS THEN WIFI ENABLED. bdp-5100 IS THE ONE WITH WIFI BUILD IN. hOPE THIS HELPS. BROUGHT MINE ON EBAY FOR £35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to clarrify:

BDP-S1100 = Smart Bluray (no Wifi, No 3D)

BDP-S3100 = Smart Bluray with Wifi (no 3D)

BDP-S4100 = Smart Bluray with 3D (no Wifi)

BDP-S5100 = Smart Bluray with Wifi and 3D

richfan10
Explorer

hi

the player says 'Wireless LAN Built in' on the front also has 'WiFi' on the back on the unit 

reckon I got a faulty unit 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Looking back at all the thread I didn't understand how you are trying to setup the wireless connection.

First of all: do you see your router enlisted in the available connection? If not are you sure your router is not configured to be hidden?

In any case I suggest that you try to connect manually to the router (no WPS automatic configuration): to do so you have to know which is the secuirity protocol used by your router (WEP, WPA, WPA2) and the key you have to enter in your tv, then proceed manually (you can even enter your router SSID manually if you don't see it enlisted).

Hope it help.

richfan10
Explorer

hi thanks for the advice

I'm trying to set up a wireless connection following the official instructions and on board commands thru the player - my router is not listed when it searches for connection.  I am asked to press the WEP key (which I do) but not connection nor my router can be found - I keep getting the message 'an unknow error has occured. Redo registration - (I have reset to factory settings several times)

all devices (new and old) in my home can see my router 

I mentioned earlier that I keep getting a message telling me that no wirelss LAN device can be found even though the player 100% wifi in inbuilt 

I have without luck, tried to enter details manualy ... I'm not 100% sure If i have set it up correctly but I have followed youtube videos and looked on line for help

It was a refurbished model from Amazon which is being sent back today maybe there is something wrong with it I'm not too sure Ill be reordering a different player later this week but thanks for your help

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

OK, maybe it's an hardware fault, still I think there is something you are missing: you cannot enter any manual configuration if you don't select before the router to which you want to connect: so did you see it in the list?

richfan10
Explorer

nope does not list anything I think the Wifi is kaput :rolling_eyes:

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

if there is absolutely nothing in the list of routers, unless you leave alone in the country, it's definitively an hw problem :slight_smile: