Join now - be part of our community!

RDR.. Issues (May 2014) - MASTER THREAD

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
rdr-hxd995_owner

RDR.. Issues (May 2014) - MASTER THREAD

Friday 23rd May approx 19:00 attempted to turn on DVD recorder RDR-HXD995. Seemed reluctant to power on from remote (and when pressing power on on unit itself) as in UPDATE mode. Finally after switching power off at the wall a few times, managed to get it to respond. However when a channel is selected, it displays for a short while and then the screen goes blank. Also, a programme which was set to record, has not recorded.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem - is this July all over again or is it just me?

Any help/advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

181 REPLIES 181
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI keithrazzell

Have you tried the following suggestion from ricross50?

- System Menu->Initial Setup->Basic->Easy Setup and let it go until it has started finding channels before pressing Exit to cancel.

As some are slowly managing to get theirs to work.

Cheers

Greysurfer

Easy setup and cancelling when finding the channels has worked for me although the EPG has funny colours. Wonder if it will still work after the 2.00 pm update!

profile.country.GB.title
No_Pic

The 03:00 and 10:00 updates this morning caused the update loop for me.

I tried the same approach as Greysurfer and managed to get the same result (a partly working system with mangled EPG colours).

I have to move off BBC1 and BBC2 channels though and up into Ch 3, 4, 5 before coming back to BBC1 and 2 again otherwise they either freeze or just show a black screen.

TrimusDA
Explorer

Still happening for me in West London

profile.country.GB.title
grumpybloke
Explorer

Pretty much same symptoms as last week:  (RDR-HDX890)

1. Any channels freeze and then go black after a few seconds.

2. Retuning to "France" gets working channels.

3. Find recorder stuck in "update" this morning.

Last week I could retune successfully to UK after the 10am update, but not so far this week.  I can still get channels OK if I select France, but tuning to UK gets me back to channels that go to black after a few seconds.

I have tried unplugging and the various other suggestions.

I have now been round this loop several times.  It is still not fixed for me.

auroraborealis
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,

Thank you for your suggestions/work arounds.

Sadly none have worked for me and after getting the curiously colourful EPG display, the screen goes blank a few seconds if a channel is selected. The whole thing then freezes and I am back to holding the on/off button to get the RDR to respond at all 😞

Come on Sony where are your IT experts and why haven't you fixed it by now? After all it isn't as though this is the first time this has happened!

I'm starting to get very cross about this problem now.

Greysurfer

My EPG now has "normal" colours and look.  So now waiting to see what happens at the next update.

Boudicca58
Explorer

Yes, I was stuck in update mode too.

Did the restart process as above which was successful, but I am still in same position as last night i.e. picture for few seconds and screen goes black.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Boudicca58 

Have you tried this suggested fix, as it appears to have worked for some.   Re-tune the recorder, but cancel out before it finishes: 

1. Goto System Menu->Initial Setup->Basic->Easy Setup and
  2. Let it go until it has started finding channels before pressing Exit to cancel.

Cheers

keithrazzell
Explorer

Hi Qunnicus,

Done what you suggested and it seems to keep the channels now. But even though I'm on Digital EPG when I try to put a record instruction in the channel shows as Analog !. I've set up a record for 12:30 and I'll let you know what happens. Record set for CH4, timer display shows correct program title but PR1 for channel.