Join now - be part of our community!

HT-CT660 New Buy 3 Days Ago

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
SteptoesHorse
Explorer

HT-CT660 New Buy 3 Days Ago

Bought a new HT-CT660 bar speaker system to add to my existing Sony KDL-HX753 TV which I've had just over 12 months, however I'm rather disappointed with the quality sound produced from it. The bass is very good, but the bar is very poor and it's more noticeable when the watching the news channels.

I realise that there's a sound field selection button for "news", but the presenters voices are so bland. It's possible I'm doing something wrong

So my questions are, is it better to connect using optical link which is supplied or HDMI 1.4, will either be noticably different? Or does anyone think I could possibly have purchased a poor unit.

Regards

SteptoesHorse

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

In terms audio quality of HDMI vs Optical, there is no difference.  If you are using bluray with DTS-HDMA, and other "higher" audio, HDMI is the way to go as optical doesnt support it.  HDMI also supports the CEC functions (or Bravia Sync).  Therefore more benefits using HDMI.

Obviously you have the sound fields to experiment with.

One suggestion though - turn OFF DRC (Dynamic Range Control)

Unforunately there are very little settings and sound adjustments you can make.

Cheers

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

In terms audio quality of HDMI vs Optical, there is no difference.  If you are using bluray with DTS-HDMA, and other "higher" audio, HDMI is the way to go as optical doesnt support it.  HDMI also supports the CEC functions (or Bravia Sync).  Therefore more benefits using HDMI.

Obviously you have the sound fields to experiment with.

One suggestion though - turn OFF DRC (Dynamic Range Control)

Unforunately there are very little settings and sound adjustments you can make.

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
SteptoesHorse
Explorer

Quinnicus, thanks for your reply I was assuming HDMI was the way forward.

I'll try to experiment with sound fields and I will give it ago with turning off DRC.

Think I do understand about how fiddly the settings bit can be.

Regards

SteptoesHorse