Join now - be part of our community!

How do I reformat the HDD on my Sony Recorder HXD995 ?

profile.country.GB.title
Taravera
Explorer

How do I reformat the HDD on my Sony Recorder HXD995 ?

I am getting ‘Write Error’ messages. The manual says that the HDD can be formatted to correct this, but doesn’t say how. Please could someone tell me how I reformat the HDD on my Sony Recorder HXD995 ?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Welcome to the Community.

Unfortunately you need a Sony Service Remote to select the 'Format HDD' Option unless the recorder itself has detected a HDD Error and suggests a format. These arre not cheap - https://www.amazon.co.uk/SERVICE-REMOTE-Original-Remote-Control/dp/B00FEI7PHE

You could try the 'Optimise HDD' from 'System Menu' -> 'Disc Setup'

profile.country.GB.title
Taravera
Explorer

Thank you so much for replying so quickly. Ridiculous price for a handset, which might not even help. Is there no way of accessing the ‘Format HDD’ option?

profile.country.GB.title
Taravera
Explorer

I’m only assuming I need to reformat the hard disk drive.

The problem is that itwill just record less than a minute of a programme and then stop and say ‘write error’, but other times it records the whole programme fine.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

If the machine is unusable then you have nothing to loose in first trying to delete all content on the HDD, then try the optimise routine.

I have an HXD870 and fitted a new HDD in mine 12 months ago (to increase capacity) and needed a service remote to do that. This generic equivalent one from Amazon (amazingly) had the specific features I needed. It is described as a replacement for the J-6090-203A service remote. I asked for confirmation that it was functional equavalent to the service tool and was told it was. And it worked.

Generic Service Remote

Edit.... link corrected.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Wrong link (I'll edit the above post)

Generic Service Remote

profile.country.GB.title
Taravera
Explorer

Thank you for your help.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

You're welcome, and good luck. All these older HDD recorders are well worth saving in my opinion. They were some of the best product Sony have ever produced.