Join now - be part of our community!

Airplay volume on str dn 1030

profile.country.en_GB.title
whitter45
Visitor

Airplay volume on str dn 1030

Anyone had experinces of very loud playback via airplay on the 1030

I literally cannot go above about 7 on the volume on my amp

very small increments on the volume control both on iphone and ipad gives huge increase in output

Also applies when using volume control via the amp

Concern is that someone connecting with music set to half way on there device will literally blow the speakers

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5
rnmarley
Visitor

Hi,

yes and the worst did happened. I connected AirPlay via my iphone forgetting it was on Max volume (iTunes) and it did blow one driver. I've asked around about this problem but with no success. The only solution I can see is a Max Voume setting on the 1030 to prevent this happening, but I cant see this option on the 1030.

Regards

whitter45
Visitor

I got this from Sony communities on the .com wwebsite

Lower the volume in the iPad/iPhone.

Perform power reset by unplugging the power cord of Receiver for 60 seconds.

Reset the Receiver to the factory default settings.

1) Press I/O button to turn OFF the Receiver.

2) Hold down I/O button for 5 seconds.

It certainly worked but does not affect max volume limit

At least now i can increment past 30 on the receiver without risk of damage

30 is about half way volume on the apple device

Not sure if setting max volume of apple devices would help???

Withnail73
Visitor

The default on the amp for AirPlay is AFD....switch the Sound Field to something else and the volume will be more manageable and more in line with the other inputs....try the Portable Media Sound Field as that is meant to be for Mp3s etc....

profile.country.GB.title
markneal
Explorer

I just replied to the same subject on this post - https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/1317822#1317822

"I just got the STR-DN1030 and cannot believe how the Airplay input levels are set

Phenominally sensitive and loud. From itunes, ipad and iphone the levels have to be just very slightly above lowest to be listenable through this amp, and I too cannot find any way to set or limit this

The sound quality is horrible and harsh also, switched to Airplay to my Apple TV 2 hdmi inputed to this amp and the sound is silky and nice and has the same levels as other inputs

Airplay input is not usable in its current state"

profile.country.GB.title
markneal
Explorer

whitter45 - When you say "It certainly worked but does not affect max volume limit" what worked?

Are you saying that the Airplay input became much less sensitive and input on the airplay source could be higher without all out destruction?

I tried the reset as you explained without any change or improvement, but I did get the hassle or having to resetup the whole thing!

Can you share the link to the US forum

I see that the US model has bluetooth so it is different hardware

Withnail73 - Your right getting off A.F.D. AUTO onto another sound field makes it a little more usable. P. AUDIO (Portable Audio) as you suggest sounds ok.

56 seems to be the highest volume number, BUT 14 is very loud, so if you have the volume set at more than a quarter full volume you are in damage territory! iTunes, iPad and iPhone must all be under a quarter volume or it will blast way too loud. Not good

Using this forum is about as fiddly as using this Sony equipment

The Sony staff that design this stuff need to get out of their corporate offices a little and check out what internet forums and network connected devises have evolved into these days. Nobody would accept the GUI MODE that this unit uses its so cramped and awkward. Infinite scroll at the very least would make it a bit more usable. Come out of the 80's Sony!

Message was edited by: markneal