Join now - be part of our community!

Trying to return a TV

SOLVED
jimmylewoots
Explorer

Trying to return a TV

Oh the fun I am having with trying to return my TV that decided to die on the 22nd December, I have called SONY numerous times and had three emails from UK Mail advising they are picking up the said TV, but still the TV sits in my house awaiting a collection.

I cannot have a refund until the item is picked up and thus have had no TV since the 22nd December, and yes I have two small children who have had to cope without a TV over the Christmas period. I know some might say this is a good thing, but I tell you it's not a good experience.

Here is a copy of my first email to SONY, two more have since been sent.

Good Afternoon,

I am most disappointed with the level of customer service I have received from yourselves at Sony, the easiest way to show this is by showing a timeline of events with explanations/words.

22nd December 2014 09:30 My SONY TV goes off and when I try to turn it back on the indicator lamp flashes red five times, I go onto the SONY support pages and it advises to unplug the TV if needs be from a surge strip and then leave unplugged before plugging into a wall socket for five minutes; I complete this task but the red flight continues to flash five times, on reading more on the SONY site I then call the Customer Services number

22nd December 10:20 I call SONY customer services, the first person I speak to transfers me to technical support, even though I advise that I have gone through the trouble shooting procedure. On speaking to technical support they have me complete the same task as I have already done above, they then advise that my TV will need to be returned and a replacement will be sent out. I ask nervously as this is the 22nd December and so close to Christmas if this can be turned around within the next 48 hours as I am gravely concerned I will have no TV over the Christmas period, I am advised that I will be contacted by a courier within 24 hours who will arrange, I ask for an email from the technical support agent confirming everything we have spoken about and am told I will receive this. I am not told what I am later told when I call in on the 23rd December as below; unfortunately being a trusting soul I don't take the names of the people I spoke to, but do have the call record as I used my mobile phone.
This conversation lasted 29 minutes.

23rd December 09:04 I call SONY customer services as I am nervous I have not received an email and 24 hours is nearly up, I speak to Abdelrahman, advising that I haven't received an email from technical support and the 24 hours is nearly up. I am told that the technical service team don't use the same system as the customer support team so he is unable to see any notes. I advise my concern re having no TV over the festive period and that having two small children and no TV, and whilst technology shouldn't be relied upon is a necessity in this day and age. I am told that a courier company will contact me within 48 hours (different from above) I question why this time has now extended and am told that this is the policy, once the courier company have picked the TV up they will send a replacement. I explain my nervousness around me purchasing a refurbed TV as they don't always seem to be in stock; I am then advised that the stock will be released when it comes in. As such I could not have a TV for some time, with this breaking news I ask immediately for a refund so that I can go out and purchase a TV for over the festive period from another retailer; I am told that a refund cannot be processed until the TV has been returned and scanned in. I then ask will the courier contact me within 48 hours and could this be boxing day (UK bank holiday), am advised that this could be Monday 29th December, my heart is sinking further and further as it is now apparent I will have no TV over the Christmas period. I end up visiting the in laws so that the children can utilise one of their gifts which required a TV screen, as otherwise their gift would be useless as we have no TV. 
This conversation last 36 minutes.

30th December 11:31 I call SONY customer services as I have received nothing from a courier company regarding the picking up of my TV, even though as above I was advised 48 hours and this has long since past. I speak to a lady called Lena and he apologises for the lack of contact from the courier company to myself, I mention the length of time that this whole process of replacing my TV has taken and how upset I am as have been my small children over the Christmas period. She advises she will speak to the courier company straight away and call me back in a maximum of two hours. I feel happier with this as it seems we are actually moving forward, although the damage has been done around the lack of TV.
This conversation lasts 19 minutes

31/12 09:42 I call SONY customer services as I have been let down again, there was no call back from Lena even though I was promised call back, but I have had an email from UK mail to say they are picking my TV up today. I speak once again to Abdelrahman and he apologises once again and advises that he can provide me with "temporary" compensation of £25, and then when the TV has been returned and scanned in I can call back in for full compensation. I advise the time I have been without a TV and the number of calls I've had to make regarding the TV is unacceptable and feel £25 is a slap in the face, and am not sure what I would spend the voucher on as I feel untrustworthy towards the SONY brand, I ask to speak to his supervisor and am transferred to Obama.
I advise Obama that the service hasn't been good enough and question this "temporary" compensation and then what other compensation could be forthcoming, I am told that he can offer me £50 compensation but this is the maximum he can go to. I then question this "temporary" compensation, and this goes on for some time as I am told this was a miss translation or misunderstanding; I therefore as SONY record these calls ask for a copy of the call, but am told this would only happen if I were to start legal proceedings.
I advise Obama that this transaction was carried out within the UK and under UK law within the Data Protection Act this information should be provided when I request it, this is rebuked somewhat and am told to email in regarding this.
This conversation lasts 56 minutes

As a conclusion I am disappointed and disgusted at the lack of customer service provided by yourselves to myself, whilst the people I have spoken to seem to have been of a reasonable standard they seem bound by poor processes and over work (Obama advised Lena didn't call back due to not having the time to). I would not buy a further product from SONY direct and worry that the paltry £50 offered will expire as I would rather use a reputable supplier/merchant who will replace my TV when it breaks and not me have to await collection and scanning before anything happens, all of which has a 7-10 working day lead time on. I am open to further compensation, but for my experience to be changed from a real negative to positive then something extremely pleasing needs to be undertaken by yourselves.

Please take note I request the information and recording of my calls under the Data Protection Act 1998, I have provided you with accurate times, dates and call durations and as such you should be able to find all the calls which I have made, and therefore request you make available to myself a copy of all these calls post haste, under UK law you should provide this information within 40 days.

If my complaint can be resolved then I feel the above request might not be needed, but am nervous that I seem to be told one thing only to be then told something else.

Please acknowledge receipt of this email.

Yours faithfully

James
28 REPLIES 28
jimmylewoots
Explorer

Well the saga continues, and still no refund, compensation, but more importantly a TV in my household.

Good Afternoon,

So after my conversation with Davey on the 12th Jan, and my call from Osama on the 13th, and the email below on the 14th I have heard nothing on today the 15th January, and even though the broken TV, which has been broken since the 22nd January, not sure if I've mentioned that before or not.

So currently my TV has been broken and it has been picked up since Monday 12th January, which means it has been in the SONY warehouse I would expect or some warehouse, but when I have checked my credit card statement, there still appears to be no refund, but yet I was told that as soon as my TV was picked up my refund would be processed as long as I ensured I had sent in a copy of the receipt of picked up goods, which I did back on the 12th Jan.

So as well as the timeline below, I still have no refund, a lack of contact from SONY and probably most important no TV, I have now been without a TV since the 22nd December, which means I have had no TV for 24 days, which equates to 1440 hours // 86400 minutes.

Oh this chasing for a refund is becoming tiresome, and my wit and humour is turning into that of frustration and despair, only today did I walk into a shop and physically hug a tv, oh how I am missing their warmth and glow, oh and the TV I hugged wasn't a SONY one.

An Increasingly frustrated,

James
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As you know, there is nothing I can do to speed up the process of getting you your refund.  I have however added your latest communications to the original escalation request anyhow.  Hopefully someone should contact you can get this sorted.

Cheers

jimmylewoots
Explorer

Thanks Quinnicus, someone did ring me from SONY UK, but I missed their call and they left no message so been unable to ring them back. The guys in Egypt seem to bound by rules and regulations, and how they are bound by the "Customer Exceptions Team" who seem to be the deities.

James

jimmylewoots
Explorer

So still no call back and no refund even though I was promised it previously prior to the 12th Jan, that as soon as I send in my proof of pickup my refund would be processed.

I am now waiting a call abck on Monday, doubt this will happen, as such have emailed to the helpline advising them that they have left me no choice but to start the following.

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/northampton-business-centre/money-claim-online/frequently-asked-que...

Would never ever buy anything from Sony ever again.

James

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Just checked the escalations for your problem.  The following information was added at 3:50pm today.

"This has been escalated to our sales department to reach a resolution."

Unfortunately I can do no more at this stage to assist you 😞

Cheers

jimmylewoots
Explorer

Thanks Quinnicus, but what does that actually mean? Was it added by someone in Egypt or someone from the UK, my service from some of the guys in Egypt has been appalling.

James
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jimmylewoots wrote:
but what does that actually mean?

Thats a really good question....  Just mean's that one department has passed this onto another department. 

Tell you what.  Gimme some time, im going to enquire about this, because I was under the impression that this type of thing was ending.... As the weekend is now upon us, its unlikely I will receive an answer before Monday.  I'll get back to you.

jimmylewoots
Explorer

Thanks Quinnicus, would really appreciate some traction, just been told that my refund will take upto 7 working days, 3-4 days for a credit note then a further 3-4 days for refund to be processed to my credit card 😞
jimmylewoots
Explorer

Ah received a call from the guys in Cairo just now at 15:15. I was told he is pushing with regards to my refund, but it will still be 7-10 day working days, but he will follow up and ring me again in 48 hours, then it might only be 5-8 working days :thinking:

I asked where my call was from Davey at 09:00 this morning, I was told he had been asked to call me back but no time could be fixed for this call, but he will mention it to him again.

Oh well have had no tv since the 22nd December and no refund since Mon 12th January, if the service wasn't so bad I would :cry: but it's just so funny, NOT.

James

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Let us know how you get on anyhow. 

Cheers