Join now - be part of our community!

FDR-AX53 XAVC-S 4K - "jerkyness"

clarkerz
New

FDR-AX53 XAVC-S 4K - "jerkyness"

Hi,

I have just purchased a FDR-AX53 from Jessops Cardiff on the 1st April 2016. 

I am having trouble with JerkyNess when using recording movies XAVC-S 4K at both 60 and 100 mb/s. The quality is stunning but the jerkyness makes the picture annoying to watch.

All HD recordings are perfect and faultless. I have put 5 different tests here on YouTube and I'd like your thoughts on why it is "jerky". It's as though there is some sort of video processing being applied but I cannot see where to switch it of it there is. I really don't want to have take the camera back for a refund so hope this is resolvable.

Test 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHW5oP1vHYQ

Thanks

Clarkerz

23 REPLIES 23
profile.country.GB.title
LennonMac
Explorer

I myself use the  SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB SDXC UHS-I/U3 Memory Card up to 95MB/s Read FFP (SDSDXPA-064G-FFP) also the Lexar Professional 64GB Class 10 UHS-I 633X Speed (95MB/s) SDXC and ive had no Problems at all.

kcjones1313
Explorer

I have to admith that I bought an AX33 and I am quite disappointed withthe results as regards the jerkiness at the highest deifinition.  I have found that transcoding the video on download to "optimum" (I use FCP X) helps if this option is available to you

kcjones1313
Explorer

I would imagine that this might help with the AX53 as well

profile.country.GB.title
LennonMac
Explorer

Do you have the FDR-AX33 or the Sony FDR-AX53 as you mention the AX33.
Paul
kcjones1313
Explorer

No I have the AX33 I just posted in the wrong slot

z1x2c3v4

HELLO CLARKERZ==SO SORRY YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE===PLEASE MAY I THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS==PLEASE SEE MY OWN POST==Z1X2C3V4===I NEED NEW CAMCORDER====THIS HAS HELPED ME PERSONALLY YOUR WORDS ON THIS CAMCORDER AX53====I DO NOT NEED 4K====DO HOPE THAT A MEMBER CAN HELP YOU===REGARDS==SEASIDE=== P.S. I AM FAIRLY CERTAIN A MEMBER WILLSOLVE THIS FOR YOU.

duffer888
New

There is no 30p at 4k only 25p

Brian_44
Explorer

I too am having this issue and I'm not very happy about it.  It renders the point of a UHD video camera pointless to me, as it can't be used without a tripod.  I'm using the SanDisk 256GB Extreme Pro SDXC 170MB/s, so it's well capable of image capture.  Exporting from Davinci Resolve 17 solves no problems (even after transcoding to DNxHR [which seems to be a recommended transcode format] it doesn't help any).

I've not tried FHD yet but reading through the forum it seems to be fine, which is always something.

This line of product shouldn't have got past testing IMO (for UHD at least).  Guess I'll have to get a RED camera instead now.

Brian_44
Explorer

Yes playback direct from the camera to TV is good and no jekiness.  Why is there jerkiness everywhere else you put it though?  Can't edit the footage smoothly. 

profile.country.GB.title
LennonMac
Explorer

When I got the very latest Firmware Updste it fixed it.