Join now - be part of our community!

'Digital drop-out' on shots from Sony PJ470

profile.country.GB.title
tobliss
Explorer

'Digital drop-out' on shots from Sony PJ470

Have a lot of trouble with my camcorder. Last week i came back from two days filming on a paying job, to find no HD shots on the card (a good Sony card I've been using with no problems for 6 months) at all. Nothing. Tried all the usual things, restore deletions etc, nothing. All it could see was some old SD footage I had previously deleted. Then that disappeared as well.

Ok - park that as it's not the problem I'm asking about now - (just to explain why it matters)

I have just reshot the main interview (at much cost and trouble) using a new Sony card (yes, I tested it and all seemed fine). But the footage has what looks like tape drop-out - blips of junk in the image - when viewed in VLC.

I did a back-up on the road to an old 10inch mac power PC (and to a usb stick) - and the shots were mostly junk on that when viewed with VLC on location.

On my macbook pro, back in the office tonight, using VLC, I'm seeing small dropout sections in the image from time to time, a bar of green here, an rectangle of junk there.

Now I've copied to fcp on the macbook pro, converting to prores 422 as I go. The clips SEEM to be clean and good when viewed in fcp - (thank the powers that be) - but I need to know what's causing this.

Can anyone advise - is VLC a bit flakey? Does the drop-out suggest a problem that will come back to bite me later (eg dropped frames)? Or might the 422 conversion have 'fixed' the problem.

Thanks

0 REPLIES 0