Join now - be part of our community!

DCR-SR37 Turns off after about 10 minutes when mounted in car

pebowye41
New

DCR-SR37 Turns off after about 10 minutes when mounted in car

I bought the camera to do on-board recording of motor racing but it has let me down each of the two times I have used it.  It decides to turn itself off after about 10 minutes, thereby missing all of the action - which is more than frustrating...

I have adjusted the auto-shot-off so that it doesn't cut in at all, and outside of the car the camaera will record for half an hour or more. I tested this twice with long recording sessions - even holding the camera upside down, with control panel closed - because this is the way it has to be mounted in the car - and all worked perfectly for 30 and 40 minute test sessions.

Today - for the second time in a few weeks - I mounted the camera in the car, upside-down because that is the only way in which you can get a decent view for the camera mounted on the roll cage and hanging down from the top bar that runs across the top of the windscreen. 

I set it running before putting, helmet and gloves etc on and got ready to go out but the camera had again turned itself off before the action began, at about 11 minutes into the recording. I closed the control panel before going out, but again I have set the camera so that this doen't shut off the works, and the test sessions where it worked were all done using the camera in this mode.

Of course I got a flying start in the race, was controlling all of the slides in the very wet conditions, overtaking anyone and everything - but I can't bore the rest of the world with my incredible skills because the camera has turned itself off just before I got to the track. 

I am about to attack the camera with a sledge hammer, blow torch and/or a drop from a high cliff. The sensible thing would be to stick it on eBay and go and buy a camera that didn't have a mind of its own; a camera that accetped what its owner had instructed it to do without thinking that - even as an inaminate object - it knows better what I want than I do myself...  It doesn't; I just want it to do as I have instructed. Is that really too much to ask?

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the camera still shuts itself off - but only when mounted, upside-down - and in the car - but in not when used like this in other similar situations?

Many thanks.

0 REPLIES 0