Join now - be part of our community!

DCR-PC9E DOWNLOAD VIDEO TO COMPUTER VIA 1394 PORT USING WINDOWS 10

profile.country.GB.title
steamrocket
New

DCR-PC9E DOWNLOAD VIDEO TO COMPUTER VIA 1394 PORT USING WINDOWS 10

Can anyone advise on how I can import my library of DV Mini recordings please?

My new PC is Windows 10 based and the camcorder is the PC9E which I thought would connect via the 1394 Port but that isn't happening.

If anyone can volunteer a solution I'd really appreciate it since these are videos of our twins since they were babies and they are now approaching 18 so want to give them a memento of their lives to date.

Thanks in advance 🙂

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi,

You need to install PlayMemories Home to your PC to be able to import the video footage.
Please refer to this article for further instructions:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/camcorders-tape-camcorders/dcr-pc9e/articles/00083654

Cheers
Peter

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @steamrocket,

@steamrocket  schrieb:

My new PC is Windows 10 based and the camcorder is the PC9E which I thought would connect via the 1394 Port but that isn't happening.

Before getting deeper into this subject I'd like to point out that a connection via IEEE1394 is not being indicated by a PC. You will neither see an additional harddrive letter in the Explorer nor hear any sound. That's different to USB connections. The only way to find out whether the connection is established is to use some software (like PlayMemories) and trying to find the camera with it for capturing the videos from tape.

Unfortunately I'm afraid that this is not going to work. IEEE 1394 (AKA i.Link and/or Firewire) is not supported by Windows 10 anymore. There may be a little chance in trying to install the IEEE1394 drivers Microsoft is offering for Windows 8.1 but there's no guarantee. In case you've got IEEE1394 drivers installed on your Win 10 machine you should then enter the device manager of the PC and make sure that you're using that IEEE1394 driver which is marked as "legal" somewhere in the driver's name in case the driver's not working. Anyhow, using Firewire in Windows 10 will most likely not work. 

The USB connection of the camera is no option either. It needs a driver which, if you've got it at all still (you can't download it anymore), most likely won't work under Win 10 and, if I'm right, is not meant for transferring video anyhow.

So, either you've got access to an older PC running Win XP, Win 7 or Win 8 with a Firewire port or you need to go and get yourself a capturing device to which you can connect your camera using the A/V connection as shown in the manual (cable should have come with the camera: single small jack on one side and three cinch jacks in yellow (video), white and red (audio) on the other side). Maybe an S-Video connection would be possible as well (special cable again). As far as I'm concerned the A/V-connection to a USB-capture device might be the best solution for your needs. I cannot recommend a certain device or manufacturer though.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)