Join now - be part of our community!

Youview pause on Bravia

Twampy
Explorer

Youview pause on Bravia

Hi all,

I have a Sony Bravia 4k telly with built in youview, how do I get it to pause like a normal youview box.

Are there any updates in the pipeline that will let me do this?

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

From the manual:-

Pause TV

What You Need

You can pause a digital TV broadcast and resume watching it a bit later.

To pause a TV programme you need…
• a connected USB Hard Drive formatted on this TV

And Lollipop? Really?
YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

What do you want to tell us? Samsung, LG, Philips/TPVision... they all support timeshifting.

And yes, Philips already supported it on Lollipop. Android added Timeshift APIs as of Marshmallow, which are used in the Google Live Channels app. Philips does not use the Live Channels app though but has their own TV integration. So they don't mind about Google APIs in that regard as they implemented the stuff on their own.

profile.country.GB.title
Jamesc5

I appreciate this is an old thread from 2016, but it's now 2018 and I still need a £40 youview box under my £1000 android smart tv (2017 model) in order to use timeshift.

Unfortunatly i have buyers remorse after buying my sony android tv and would recommend anyone wanting smart features such as apps and  pvr / timeshift to buy a cheap smart pvr  box or dongle and the best screen you can afford rather than an expensive tv with android built in . Built in android tv is stripped down and offers very little more than any other smart tv system.

Timeshift would be a killer feature that set android tv apart from the rest, the core capability is built into android, particularly Google's own live channels app, but google and Sony have never fully implemented it, which is a real shame for Sony's millions of android tv users.

I wanted less remotes, less wires and less devices under my tv, and mistakenly thought android tv would deliver this. 

Have to agree with Jamesc5, I wanted less remotes, cables and the likes and previously having a Youview box and was told the tv had Youview also, I spent the extra money. 

At no point in when I was choosing the tv was I told you cannot pause live tv in Youview mode.  I would have re thought my choice if I had known.

Why cannot Sony and google just buy Youview so we can pause live tv. 

Apparently it is to do with copyright or something. 

After this escapade I will not trust RS in aiding me with a future purchase. Mis-sold and mis-informed. 

I was going to throw ‘Not fit for purpose” at them as it does not do what it says. 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

I assume we wont be getting Android 7 on the 2016/2017 TVs?

profile.country.GB.title
Jamesc5

My tv has been upgraded to android 7, most of the 2017 bravia are getting it from what I've read.

Incidently  timeshift works well on Google's  live channels app if using a HD homerun network tuner, and the tv guide works really well.

Unfortunately there's no guide data and no timeshift if you use the inbuilt tuner in live channels as the source.

surely this is relatively simple  to resolve as the live channels app has already got all the pvr functionality built in? All sony or google have to do is pass guide data to the live channels app from the built in tuner, and tell the app to that the video soure is ok for timeshift, the app already does the rest.  I'm no programmer but it cant need that much new code ?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Check out my review. In order to support PVR and timeshifting of the Live Channels app, Sony would have to implement the respective underlying Google TIF APIs which is not a minor thing.

profile.country.GB.title
Jamesc5

That's a really good write up, I cant understand why we get a picture in the live channels app from the built in tuners and can change channels, use pip etc, but we cant get guide data ? 

Surely most of the work has already been done in getting the video stream into the live channels app?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You should have read my review more carefully. Sony's DTV implementation is an early fork of Google's Live Channels. Basic parts are therefore compatible with the TIF. But because Live Channels was missing functionality back in Lollipop, Sony went their own way. That was when the 2 separated and Sony does not support later TIF APIs for timeshifting and PVR.