Join now - be part of our community!

No 5.1 from Bravia Core to Bose Lifestyle

profile.country.GB.title
davetheref
New

No 5.1 from Bravia Core to Bose Lifestyle

Hi,

Recently purchased an XR-48A90K and really please with it.  I've got it connected via optical cable to my Bose Lifestyle 35 sound system.  When streaming from Netflix, Prime and from my Sky Q box the sound is picked up as Dolby 5.1 or 2.0 depending upon what I'm watching. Last night I watched a film from Bravia Core (Jumanji The Next Level) which showed as broadcast in Dolby but the sound was only PCA 2.0.  Any idea why this is? The Bose system only has optical and not HDMI but don't get why some outputs were Dolby but Bravia Core not? Help please.

Cheers,

Dave 

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Maybe the Bitrate is too high for 5.1 Surround?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@davetheref @Marino.Manolo 

Yes, that’s half of the answer.

Here’s an article about TosLink and what it will and won’t support:-

https://www.howtogeek.com/241828/what-is-the-optical-audio-port-and-when-should-i-use-it/

TOSLINK/Optical Digital Audio supports the following audio formats.

• PCM 2.0
  • Dolby Digital 2.0 to 5.1
  • Dolby Digital EX 6.1
  • DTS Digital Surround
  • DTS-ES Matrix 6.1
  • DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
  • DTS 96/24 (96kHz/24bit audio

TOSLINK doesn't support the following more demanding formats because of bandwidth and related limitations. This list is not exhaustive, and it should be assumed that any audio format not found in the list above is not supported.

• 5.1/7.1 multi-channel PCM
    • Dolby Digital Plus
    • Dolby TrueHD
    • Dolby Atmos
    • DTS-HD Master Audio
    • DTS:X
    • Auro 3D Audio
    • DVD-Audio
    • SACD-Audio

(I thought the optical port was S/PDIF, and so it is, but apparently S/PDIF is the transmission protocol, while TosLink is the physical arrangement when optical is used; S/PDIF also works over digital coax using copper).

So that’s half the answer - the other half is why, when the TV showing the Bravia Core programming and finding it can’t output the ideal audio provided, drops all the way to 2.0 PCM instead of some intermediate audio format that would be better.

A limitation of the alternative audio formats Bravia Core provides? A limitation of what the TV can do? A limitation of what the Bose will accept?

Certainly, nothing less than eARC can do justice to Bravia Core audio; even ARC wouldn’t suffice, though that might be able to negotiate a better audio format. Might….

But you have, as our heartless politicians say of rough sleepers, made a Lifestyle choice, and you need a rather better soundbar to get the most out of Bravia Core audio 😢

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
davetheref
New

What a great reply - MANY thanks!!

I suspected my 20 year old sound system was the issue. Thanks for the confirmation.

"Lifestyle choice" - love it😂😂