Join now - be part of our community!

BUG: Random restarts after updating to 6.0.1 v6.1004?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

BUG: Random restarts after updating to 6.0.1 v6.1004?

I have got a 49XD8099 and recently updated (via USB) to the latest Android 6.0.1 version, v6.1004 (March 15 2017 release). I don't know if it has to do with the fact that after updating I could find out why I couldn't connect to the WiFi, and configured the tv to use WiFi accordingly, but since then I keep having the tv restarting Android randomly once or twice per day with the television in stand-by.

I first could notice it because after a reboot it goes to the HDMI 4 (since I don't have an antenna I have set it up that way to avoid turning on the PS4), and then checking with the side-loaded CPU-Z I can see the uptime. Now it just restarted in front of my eyes.

Again, the only difference is that I am now using WiFi. I'll try going back to wired and see if it happens again, still I am getting quite tired of this kind of issues. Anyone else getting the same problem?

109 REPLIES 109
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@TobiasRieper315 wrote:

"On the other hand I have got few with the televison alive"

Yes, me too, so you have now been experiencing the same issues as me !? 😞

Well, no. 4 or 5 reboots in few weeks isn't good, but it isn't that dramatic either. If I understood correctly you have frequent reboots. Also compared to the issue I had previously it's nothing. I had even 3 reboots (per day) in stand-by some days. Then some other days it could go on for nearly a week without issues. And then I am talking about Android 7.0, you are with 6.0.1, I think. They are two different things.

Still it would be nice if we could receive a new update. Because in my experience Android 7.0 is "a bit" unstable. I get force closes here and there. Even the settings few days ago. Unless they are related to the broken USB module. It caused all kind of instability when I tried to extend the internal memory. Actually I will try taking the USB pendrive off. I am not using it anyway (right now I have it there as a simple "SD card". I can't do much with it since we aren't allowed to write on it either).

profile.country.GB.title
TobiasRieper315

I believe my issue is very similar to you. They're not frequent just now and again. Annoying and not good but like you say not the end of the world. It just shouldn't be doing it imho.

i have a Sony Bravia smart tv XD8599, it's connected to the internet via Ethernet, so should be on the latest firmware/software. How can I tell if I'm on 6.0.1 or 7.0 ??? Really I should be on the latest 7.0 no!?

profile.country.GB.title
guitarman60

Mine have dwindled to virtually nothing now, but seem to happen when I'm watching something interesting. 

I hope Somy get our version of Nougat right first time. 

Jeffrey Cooper
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guitarman60 wrote:

Mine have dwindled to virtually nothing now, but seem to happen when I'm watching something interesting. 

I hope Somy get our version of Nougat right first time. 

You might find the show interesting, but maybe the TV doesnt....and hence shuts down  :rofl:

Sorry couldnt resist !

Agree with you on the last statement - hopefully the 2015/2016 TV Nougat update is a little better - better than Marshmallow !

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

TobiasRieper315 wrote: 

i have a Sony Bravia smart tv XD8599, it's connected to the internet via Ethernet, so should be on the latest firmware/software. How can I tell if I'm on 6.0.1 or 7.0 ??? Really I should be on the latest 7.0 no!?

Simple.. Go to settings/info:

Bravia_2017-06 28_14.21.33.png

You'll get either 7.0 or 6.0.1. Actually, since you have an XD85 (and thus ATV1, first half 2016) your tv still is on Android 6.0.1. The Android 7.0 upgrade will come in the future (don't ask me when, though. I have no idea).

profile.country.GB.title
allencresswell

Just a short update!

A week or so ago we had a new update. I performed it as instructed and then for the next 3 days I didn't have any unrequested restarts.

I was starting to think that it had been sorted out but then it happened again,

and again

and again!

I am resigned to having to live with this as I cannot afford to ditch the TV and replace it with something that perhaps doesn't suffer this "glitch".

Maybe after 4 or 5 years it will be time to change and upgrade and I will take the plunge.

The only thing that I am sure about is that when the time comes to change, it will not be for another Sony!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

It is a totally weird issue, yes. Sometimes it would not happen for days and weeks and then all of a sudden it starts appearing on a daily basis again...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Random restart happened to me the other day too.  Firstly i noticed that upon switching it on in the morning that Android needed to restart/boot itself all over again.  Upon doing so, boom crash opera... Restarted itself

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Oh well. I had a reboot with Opera (in Android 7.0) a couple times myself. To me Opera became MUCH worse in 7.0. And as usual the Android releases for this tvs are a joke (sorry, but that's the truth. It seems to be back to Windows 98 given the number of crashes and force closes). I am constantly on OS X/macOS beta (now High Sierra) and in the years I may have got 3 (or 4 the most) kernel panics. I am talking about betas!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Quinnicus schrieb:

Upon doing so, boom crash opera... Restarted itself

Can you explain that? You started Opera and then the system crashed? Why would you actually start Opera on the TV? Opera on the TV in my opinion is bloatware. Sony probably needs it to display help pages?