Join now - be part of our community!

BUG: Random restarts after updating to 6.0.1 v6.1004?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

BUG: Random restarts after updating to 6.0.1 v6.1004?

I have got a 49XD8099 and recently updated (via USB) to the latest Android 6.0.1 version, v6.1004 (March 15 2017 release). I don't know if it has to do with the fact that after updating I could find out why I couldn't connect to the WiFi, and configured the tv to use WiFi accordingly, but since then I keep having the tv restarting Android randomly once or twice per day with the television in stand-by.

I first could notice it because after a reboot it goes to the HDMI 4 (since I don't have an antenna I have set it up that way to avoid turning on the PS4), and then checking with the side-loaded CPU-Z I can see the uptime. Now it just restarted in front of my eyes.

Again, the only difference is that I am now using WiFi. I'll try going back to wired and see if it happens again, still I am getting quite tired of this kind of issues. Anyone else getting the same problem?

109 REPLIES 109
user34534545
Explorer

Hi there,

I have a 4 Sony Android TV's all upgraded to firmware 3.865 and since upgrading I am experiencing a slow UI, a lot of locking up of the UI and numerous restarts.

The locking up occurs even after a fresh reboot. Simply trying to change channel, the TV hangs for several seconds then restarts. This is occurring on all 4 TVs - I use the 65” the most and I’m seeing this behavior on this model 3 or 4 times a day. Before the update it was OK, but after the update the TV’s are pretty much unreliable / unusable.

The models I have are:

1 x KD 65XD8599

2 x KD 55XD8005BU
1 x KDL 43W805CBU

Is someone able to indicate when we will be seeing a fix for this issue (will it be weeks, months etc)? As is stands I think if it’s not resolved soon I will be returning all TV’s back to the retailer for a refund and I will steer clear of Sony Android TV’s

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
guitarman60

I have the 55" 8507C and did suffer similar issues but tracked it down to a rouge device on my network. I don't know what else you have connected to your systems, or how you provide internet connectivity to your TV's but it's worth isolating the TV just giving it a connection direct from your providers hub and see if that helps. You could also try a wifi connection. 

Hope you get these issues fixed 

jeff

Jeffrey Cooper
profile.country.GB.title
sparkes81

I have a similar issue too.

I have the Bravia KD-55X8509C.

Each time I turn the TV on (using the remote) it boots from cold, not from standby.

First I get the SONY logo on screen followed by the animated ANDRIOD logo

whenever I turn the TV on and it always takes a few minutes to complete.

Is there a fix for this yet???

profile.country.GB.title
guitarman60

Nothing from Sony as yet, and I can only point to the workarounds that helped me. Isolate TV from network and use a single connection from your providers hub. Also try disconnecting the Ethernet cable and try the set on wifi. 

I have t suffered a single reboot since I removed an errant device from my network. I wasn't forced to do a factory reset but that's the recommended course of action ( by Sony)

jeff

Jeffrey Cooper
user34534545
Explorer

Thanks Jeff, appreciate the feedback.

I have CAT5e wired throughout the house so all TV's are connected via Ethernet. I will try and switch one over to WIFI and maybe even disconnect it all together if I can (not great as a smart TV then I guess). I did disable YouView but that didn’t seem to work.

On a slightly separate topic,  I have a timer on the 43W805CBU to wake me up in the morning on BBC1. I’m finding now that the timer does come on but sometimes it’s not switching to BBC one correctly, just on the channel it was one when put into stand by. This morning it happened and when I tried to switch it over, the TV locked up and rebooted.

Question: Did Sony rush out 3.865 because from my experience thus far it’s not fit for purpose, is there any way to roll back the MM update?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
allencresswell

Hi, welcome to the club!

I have held back commenting until now as the updates were supposed to be rolled out throughout May.

I am assuming that all of the updates must by now be almost complete.

The randon re-boot to mine started as the first update arrived. Sometimes it would happen when bringing the TV out of standby first thing in the morning.

Sometimes it would re-boot a couple of times and then remain stable for the rest of the day but sometimes it would just reboot at some point throughout the day. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it will happen.

I have a little logo on the front of the TV that tells me it is a SONY and the first time I saw it I must admit I quite liked the "Droid" logo but........................................

with the other issues that I have had with the TV since I bought it (Amazon Video jerking, sluggish remote response) and now this, the only conclusion that I can come to is that SONY are not the brand that they used to be.

It's is all well and good having the Community to raise these issues on but when all said and done the simple fact of the matter is that SONY TV's are underdeveloped and overpriced now and if you are foolish enough to invest in one then you only really have yourselve to blame.................They are no longer the Premium Brand that they once were!!!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

allencresswell schrieb:

with the other issues that I have had with the TV since I bought it (Amazon Video jerking, sluggish remote response) and now this, the only conclusion that I can come to is that SONY are not the brand that they used to be.

It's is all well and good having the Community to raise these issues on but when all said and done the simple fact of the matter is that SONY TV's are underdeveloped and overpriced now and if you are foolish enough to invest in one then you only really have yourselve to blame.................They are no longer the Premium Brand that they once were!!!

Amen! Very true! Also see my review.

Nougat will again be based on the old 3.10 kernel with same buggy MediaTek drivers. So I assume that nothing will change...

user34534545
Explorer

I think I will be emailing the 2 retailers where I bought the TV's from giving them a heads up that I'm not happy.

Anybody care to suggest an alternatove TV to get!? Same sizes I guess, maybe a little bigger than  65"

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
guitarman60

I can only reiterate my test regime. Isolating the television from all other network devices is worthwhile. If all else fails, a factory reset is Sony's answer for now. I don't know what apps you have installed but I'd also remove them one time testing as you go. 

Sometimes it it helps to sit back and diagnose rather than resorting to sending it back and waiting whilst Sony go through thier lengthy testing process, only to find that they say there's nothing wrong. 

Jeff

Jeffrey Cooper
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I can only reiterate my test regime. Isolating the television from all other network devices is worthwhile.

In the end I might know which device makes the Sony TV stumble. So what next? All devices in my network have a reason to be there...

I don't know what apps you have installed but I'd also remove them one time testing as you go. 

I pretty much excluded every app. Can't narrow it down any further.