Join now - be part of our community!

A1 TV not showing HDR logo on YouTube

profile.country.GB.title
Cablesman
Explorer

A1 TV not showing HDR logo on YouTube

So why when I access 4K HDR videos on YouTube, doesn’t the HDR logo come on under picture settings?  It does when I use the Netflix app

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:
Sony released the DV FW in the U.S. today. No word about Amazon Video fixes though...

What? The app hasn't even been updated? Not that I can really be bothered any more. Prime Video just plays fast and beautifully on my ATV 4K... :yahoo:

Slightly out of sync (30-50 ms?) audio apart, sure! But eventually I could fix it manually from the AVR.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Sony screwed the DV update up badly. It only works for some stock apps like Netflix and Amazon Video, but not for HDMI, like for example Apple TV 4K or Ultra HD BD players.

Total screwjob... again...

This company just can't be trusted.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@Jecht_Sin wrote:

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:
Sony released the DV FW in the U.S. today. No word about Amazon Video fixes though...

What? The app hasn't even been updated? Not that I can really be bothered any more. Prime Video just plays fast and beautifully on my ATV 4K... :yahoo:

Slightly out of sync (30-50 ms?) audio apart, sure! But eventually I could fix it manually from the AVR.

Mine will be fine sometimes and a judder fest at others, no idea why. Usually stopping and restarting the stream clears it up for me. Don't have any other streaming issues, have a fast FTTH connection and the TV is hardwired.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@stormyuk wrote:
Mine will be fine sometimes and a judder fest at others, no idea why. Usually stopping and restarting the stream clears it up for me. Don't have any other streaming issues, have a fast FTTH connection and the TV is hardwired.

Yeah, same scenario here. Skipping backward and then forward helps (on the app on TV). After having first launched it the audio is a total mess. It stutters heavily every few seconds. No matter if playing via internal speakers or via AVR. Same after a reset to factory settings.

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Sony screwed the DV update up badly. It only works for some stock apps like Netflix and Amazon Video, but not for HDMI, like for example Apple TV 4K or Ultra HD BD players.

You must be joking... I suppose it works with Sony UHD BD players? Or not even that? When I'll ever upgrade to Oled  (or what real LED system will be in the market at the time) I'll kiss goodbye to Sony.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I suppose it works with Sony UHD BD players?

Not at the current time anyway. New Sony UHD BD players will get a FW update featuring DV later this year. We know what that means...  And it is not yet clear whether it will work with current Sony ATVs or whether it requires a new MediaTek SoC with DV built in to get it working over HDMI.

Sony did not comment yet, see article on FlatpanelsHD. I can already smell the next screwjob. Pretty good start into the new year.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Total screwjob... again...

This company just can't be trusted.

I wonder if its down to the mediatek thing again, it seems unless its forced to display HDR it can just not detect signals properly. No HDR Youtube (unless you download the file and play it in an another app), no HLG working with iPlayer. Now no DV for those that support it with external devices (or apps which rely on autodetect?). What a mess.

I should be suprised my PS4 Pro HDR works!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I wonder if its down to the mediatek thing again, it seems unless its forced to display HDR it can just not detect signals properly.

Thing is that Sony currently uses a MediaTek SoC which does not support DV. Sony instead implemented DV in their image processor. And this probably only works for built-in apps, but not for HDMI. Only newer MediaTek SoCs support DV directly. Just speculating though whether this can be the cause. Dunno how all this stuff has to work together. YouTube HDR is indeed another story. HDR is just a total mess...

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

The sooner we get those long time promised 10000 nits TVs the better since then there will be no need for this DV/HDR tone mapping nonsens.