Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 77 and full card

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
geoboyd77
Visitor

Sony 77 and full card

Am I correct that the Sony 77 does not disable the shutter when the memory card is full? Seems to show only a small flashing message in viewfinder..... a bit worrying if your concentration on the image (I'm a wedding photographer) is 100%

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello there :slight_smile:

Just to update you, I can confirm that the shutter does actually stop working when the card is full - the flashing icon indicates when there are only a few photographs worth of space remaining. Sorry for the conflicting information but another forum user has been kind enough to try it out and give me some feedback.

Thanks again,

Simon

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello geoboyd77 - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I can understand why that may be potentially frustrating - I am looking into this question and checking the memory card / camera behavior with some colleagues and I will let you know as soon as I have an answer.

Thanks,

Simon

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

I have checked this out and the camera's shutter would not simply switch off when the card is full - you will just get the 'card full' warning.

Thanks,

Simon

geoboyd77
Visitor

Simon, thanks for this - confirming my fears. I appreciate that the viewfinder flashes a warning but it's pretty small, and when the adrenalin is pumping at critical elements of a wedding, it's all but invisible. Seems a pity this valuable disable facility in the 700 never carried through; I'd like to think a subsequent firmware update (eg 1.04) might address this.

George

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello there :slight_smile:

Just to update you, I can confirm that the shutter does actually stop working when the card is full - the flashing icon indicates when there are only a few photographs worth of space remaining. Sorry for the conflicting information but another forum user has been kind enough to try it out and give me some feedback.

Thanks again,

Simon

geoboyd77
Visitor

Simon, you are quite right. Although the disable feature was removed from the menus (cf A700), the shutter ceases to work at counter zero as you say. I have just filled a card and a warning message when empty is also displayed right across the screen in the viewfinder. Even I couldn't miss this.  So all this is brilliant and just what I needed; I had placed alert stickers on the back of the camera, and I can now happily remove these.

Many many thnaks for your help; great stuff and way beyond the call of duty.

George

PS When I read your response and decided to fill a card and see what happened, I used a 16Gb card instead of an 8Gb and it took ages, of course; just shows that age does not necessarily come with common sense!

blaireau_photo
Visitor

You're welcome :slight_smile:

I'm glad we got to the bottom of this for you, enjoy your new camera.

Simon