Join now - be part of our community!

Feedback for FF (as per Paul Genge's request)

profile.country.en_GB.title
ThorME
Visitor

Feedback for FF (as per Paul Genge's request)

Just finished watching the fantastic  live webcast and Paul mentioned that Sony has not made a decision yet as to whether the next FF (a900/850 successors) will have either an optical viewfinder (OVF) or an electronic viewfinder (EVF). Instead, Paul mentioned, that Sony is going to monitor feeback, and, the acceptance of the new a77.

Well, here's my feeback.

I have been using the a900 for more than 3.5 years now and as much as I'm impressed by the a77 features, I'm not going to buy one and wait for the next FF instead (as I did last time, when I skipped the a700 and waited for the a900). My worry, however, is that Sony is going to take the good sales figures of the a77 (which I'm sure they will get) and mistake it for full approval to ditch the OVF alltogether. Considering the fantastic reputation the OVF of the a900 has (Luminous Landscapes called it one of the best OVFs out there), I think that would be a mistake. I'm not saying I will not use them, but for the time being, I think FF shooters should be given the choice between OVF and EVF by offering 2 models.

If I have the choice, I prefer OVF (at least for my main camera, don't mind EVF for back-up body).

What do other users think? Sony said they are still gethering feedback, so - lets provide it.

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

Made you post a sticky so that it doesn't get lost in the ether

Message was edited by: StartTheCar

Tags (4)
6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
jegriff38
Explorer

I do not see how one can offer feedback on OVF v EVF unless you have used both.

If Paul Genge would let me borrow an A77 for a week-end I will test it out  and offer the said feedback in return :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
scdonal97

Can't really say about EVF v OVF until I get to see the new OLED EVF in the A77 but  re. A55 v A580/A700 overall I prefer OVF albeit I can see some advantages to the EVF.

As for other features I would expect to see at that level (& tbh I would have expected/wanted in the A77 too)

Bigger buffer - 3 seconds @ Hi (i.e. 24 frames RAW) not 1.5.

2 card slots, 1 to be CF & ability to write RAW to 1 & JPEG to the other / stills to 1, video to the other / overflow from 1 to the other etc.

Owner/Copyright in EXIF

Tethering

Audio input level control (auto gain, 5v mic phantom power via 3.5mm stereo jack)

Keeping the form format for the battery was imo a good idea  (I have 7 batteries for my 2 existing bodies - replacing those would be £££s) but I wonder if they can improve the technology to squeeze a bit more power & hence exposure out of it? An NP-FM500H-2 if you like. :slight_smile:

profile.country.sv_SE.title
www.ask4photos.com
Visitor

Sony a900 is a great camera. I have used this body and a couple of Sony lenses for 2 years, and I love the set - including the OVF.

Most things can be better, but it's not smart to replace this very good OVF with a new view finder that is not tested in the field under circumstances that allow a fair comparison. The question is how Sony will get feed back on this. Make it's own test group I guess.

My opinion is - unfortunately - that input from us users is not appreciated much by Sony. I have never had a response from Sony indicating any interest in a dialog. At the most it's a one way communication, which I find rather frustrating.

Is this the forum where Sony actually is in dialog with its users?

profile.country.GB.title
debarlo48
New

As other respondents have noted, it's essential to use both OVF and EVF cameras in order to give a meaningful answer. I had hoped to try the Nex7 and A77 at Focus this year, but clearly Sony's absence makes this difficult. I've just spent a week walking in and photographing the hills in the Lake District. Carrying my A900 and 17-35, 24-70, 70-400 and 100 macro certainly gave me a good workout (I'm in my mid sixties) so I can appreciate the potential benefits of the NEX 7. One of the members of our group sported a NEX5N and a couple of lenses; the results were rather impressive and the weight difference was significant. I had seriously intended to look at the NEX 7 for candid photography and travel photography where weight would be a serious consideration; I have no intention of trading my existing system, though, and think it is brilliant for studio and nature work.

So it looks like Sony's absence from Focus has saved me a few thousand pounds .....

profile.country.AT.title
fotowolf61
Explorer

Hi,

here my two cents.

I own a A850 and used it for 2,5 years now and am very happy with it, so far. But I bought a A77 as an addition because it has features that I was missing on the A850 and turned out to be very usefull. This features are for me:

1) new EVF + information overlay like fokus peaking; level gauge; live histogram;

2) electronic first shutter

3) live view

4) tilt and swivel back LCD

5) improved AF system

Personally I started to like the new EVF more than the OVF, as I have to use glasses, which makes manual focussing very difficult for my eyes. As soon as a FF with EVF will arrive I will mostlikely upgrade my A850 to the new model. I am very happy with the 24MPix, on both models, but I hope the new FW for the SLT will be tested carefully. Better than Sony did on the A77. A good hardware get a bad impression by a poor and buggy firmware. So please deliver a FW upgrade the the existing A77/A65 as soon as possible.

profile.country.en_GB.title
andpix
Visitor

I had hoped to try the Nex7 and A77 at Focus this year, but clearly Sony's absence makes this difficult. http://www.bosin.info/g.gif