Join now - be part of our community!

Sound "crackles" + Selfie Cam colours look unnatural

SOLVED
xPandamon
Visitor

Sound "crackles" + Selfie Cam colours look unnatural

The title says everything. The sound crackles and scratches. This gets fixed by closing and reopening the app with the problem but it reappears at random. Doesn't seem to appear in Youtube and Netflix but in Whatsapp and games. Oh and the front camera seems off in terms of colours. My lips are bright pink. That needs some improvements aswell. Please allow us to change the positioning of apps running in 16:9 please. It just looks really awkward when there's a giant black bar at the right half of the phone. This does occur in Pokemon Quest, as an example. It should be centered, obviously.

Okay. I see what the problem is with games. There is no app scaling setting on this phone, compared to others. That's a BIG problem on a new aspect ratio like this..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
xPandamon
Visitor

I've sent mine in and my exchange device is on it's way. Appereantly it's a pretty rare issue. I would try  contacting the seller cause they probably can't fix it with an update, unfortunately 😕

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@xPandamon 

if possible provide picture samples so others can see the issues, as for the sound issues, does it happen with the music app or just third party apps?

As for the apps not using the whole screen, if I recalled, that has to be implemented by Google and app developers to support this screen ratio, but I'll escalate this. 

xPandamon
Visitor

DSC_0004.JPG

Doesn't look as bad here but it isn't really a natural colour. The Sound issues occur on WhatsApp voice messages and in games. It doesn't seem to occur in Spotify and Video playback. Yeah the aspect ratio problems seem to be weird, sometimes apps are centered, sometimes they aren't. Games are the only apps affected so far, i guess other Apps just scale their UI to fit automatically.

PS: Okay, that's weird. It looks so off on the phones screen with the normal display settings. Looks fine on my PC screen. Appereantly the Nightlight causes the problems aswell ss the display colour settings. Need to look more into it after repairing my phone to hopefully solve my audio issues.

xPandamon
Visitor

I will probably send it in. The crackling is in both the speaker and the earphone or however it is called. I hope there's a shop in germany..

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@xPandamon 

There's an issue with that, if you can't recreate this with preloaded apps, most likely they will send it back w/o doing other than a factory reset. Could you test the phone in safe mode ?

It will disable all third party apps, test chrome, and anything that you can think of that it's preloaded

xPandamon
Visitor

Tried it. No problems in safe mode, it only happens in apps i downloaded, now that you said it. I guess i repair with Xperia Companion (since that reflashes the ROM afaik). No problems in Chrome, Youtube or the preinstalled Music app. Kinda but if that helps that's worth the time. The only thing i'm waiting for is a setting to force certain apps to run in 18:9 since Sony somehow forgot to include that. 8/10 Games i tried have some issue with a 21:9 aspect ratio. Other apps work as expected though.

UPDATE: Nope, still happening after repairing. As soon as i open any app that isn't preinstalled this happens. It's so weird, it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue but what else could cause this? Oh yeah Spotify is not preinstalled and also not plagued by this issue. It also happens on low volume levels. I really don't know what to do anymore.. I guess it's somehow related to either bitrate or audio channels. Sonys audio settings don't change anything btw. It sounds kinda similar to this, mixed with the actual sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fYL_qiDYf0

PS: Just noted my bottom speaker is slightly dented in. I've got no clue how that could've happened but maybe that has to do with it? Whatever it is, i'll try to contact the support tomorow, maybe i can get a new one.. Cause a repair probably won't help.

Jay2182
Visitor

I am also the same problem, the sound burst only appears in the game. There is no such problem in youtube. This does not seem to be a problem caused by hardware.

我也是相同的問題,聲音爆裂也只出現在遊戲上在youtube就沒有這問題這似乎不是硬體所產生的問題

@Jay2182 

I've edited your post as this is an English only forum, you can use Google Translate to reply and/or post.

xPandamon
Visitor

I've sent mine in and my exchange device is on it's way. Appereantly it's a pretty rare issue. I would try  contacting the seller cause they probably can't fix it with an update, unfortunately 😕

pressefr
Contributor

I pre-ordered mine Best Buy Oline. Mine crackles too. Do I need to blow out the speakers a bit to warm them up by playing loud music? I've seen some people do that to earbuds.

"Rare issue?" Yet we all got it!

Strange it crackles in game apps, like most of y'all found out.

Crackle:

PUBG Mobile

Brawl Stars

Mobile Legends: Bang Bang

No Crackle:

CBS Stream

Netflix

WhatsApp Business Call

Xperia Music

I re-ordered a new one. It has the exact same crackling on the same apps.

Update:

Gone through 2 Silver phones to be returned.

3rd times the charm, the Black one does the same. Shame. I need can't wait for the Xperia 1 to release. The mid-range is sadly too sub par for me, and is going to a family member. 

I bet Best Buy Buyers are pissed post MWC 2019 order. So many returned devices; what's up with Sony's quality control? The Project Manager needs to be slapped.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

That selfie, isn't that colour on the glasses the effect of the anti mirror sheet on the glass?