Join now - be part of our community!

Windows does not start - blinking cursor Sony Vaio

profile.country.sv_SE.title
olojohan
Visitor

Windows does not start - blinking cursor Sony Vaio

Have a Sony Vaio VGN-FE31H with windows XP MCE. Some error present manifesting itself as blinking cursor immediately after the Vaio start image. Windows do not boot at all. Netiher F8 or F10 works. BIOS can be accessed. HW seems ok.

Have been able to rescue important data through Knoppix.

One of my problems is that I have no good XP installation or recovey disc (CD). Thought I retrieved also the backup partition to external USB drive, but that data seems korrupt? Can at least not be read from a Windows 7 computer.

Borrowed another WinXP installation disk, and;

- via repair console admin password is asked for and although I checked with ophcrack the password is not accepted. I.e. repair way seems closed.
- C partition called E?

- I would like to try some more with recovery instead of new installation, but also when trying to install a new windows on D, a message says that C must be formatted. "Feels like" the installation disk do not match entirely?
- The recovery partition is no longer seen with Knoppix. Could be that an attempt to run Fixmdr and Fixboot with windows repair caused some unwanted side effect (and now the repair way seems closed due to that admin password asked but is not accepted),

Ok, after a long mail my question is:

1) how to proceed? Before I was hoping that I should be able with program nlite, from retrieved recovery partition data, create a "good and legal recovery/installation CD". But this now seems difficult...

2) Possible to get a "good and legal" installation CD via VAIO support? I have license key, serial number etc and the computer still serve its purpose although older than 2 years..

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi olojohan,

You can purchase a set of recovery media from Sony Support. You will need to call the premium rate OOW number. From the UK the number is 0905 0310006 and cost of disks is approx. £50.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat