Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-32EX403U 'Playback not available' some photos

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Hookstar
Visitor

KDL-32EX403U 'Playback not available' some photos

Unable to display some JPGs although they are same format and similar size in same folder.

• Using Bravia TV and PC wirelessly using Sony USB dongle via a BT Home-hub.
  • Internet video content is streaming fine.  MP3's also stream fine.  Wireless network therefore appears to be ok.

Detail:

It seems to be fickle in that I can get into My Pictures through the Photo option in the menu.  I can see the subfolders inside and open them giving me a list of thumbnail image icons. Some of the photos in the folder will display, but many will not.

I checked the format and size which were all about the same, although it tends to be the more recent images which are less likely to open.  Photos were taken on 8MP and more recently 10MP Nikon D SLRs.

I experimented by resizing and renaming the images, but no change.

Tried Serviio but had the same problem with the same photos

UPDATE:  I have tried using a photo downloaded to pc as a jpg from the camera and it can display it on the Bravia. However, if I modify it in any way using Photoshop, it will not open, although it is still a jpg file.  It seems to only affect photos that have been worked on.    

any ideas why folks?

Message was edited by: Hookstar

Message was edited by: Hookstar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hookstar
Visitor

I entered an e-mail correspondance and recieved the following response, which answered my question but is disapointing.  In short, if you edit a photograph using photoshop, it will not display on the TV screen. 

Sony wrote...

"Thank you for your reply.

To be more specific I can confirm that DCF is a  design rule for camera file system, universal standard established by JEITA  "Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association".

Modifying an image (size, contrast...Ext) using a computer will add some  extension file to the image and would change the file format compare to the one  provided by camera file format settings.

Unfortunately, we do not have a  firmware update available that will allow other image format to be compatible  with our Televisions. If this becomes available in the future it will be  announced on our Support website provided below:

http://support.sony-europe.com/tvhc/tv/lcd/lcd.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&m=KDL-32EX403

Sony  United Kingdom Limited does endeavour to meet customer expectations. However, on  some occasions it is possible that a product may not meet a customer's specific  requirements such as our Televisions are only compatible to display JPEG to  match DCF settings and not othere file format. Although we acknowledge that this  is frustrating for you, this is a factor that is beyond the control of Sony  United Kingdom Ltd as the product is performing as it is designed  to.

Whilst we are unable to be of direct assistance on this occasion,  Sony does welcome feedback from our customers and with this in mind, I have  passed your comments to the Product Management for their  information.

Thank you for your enquiry."

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Hookstar
Visitor

I entered an e-mail correspondance and recieved the following response, which answered my question but is disapointing.  In short, if you edit a photograph using photoshop, it will not display on the TV screen. 

Sony wrote...

"Thank you for your reply.

To be more specific I can confirm that DCF is a  design rule for camera file system, universal standard established by JEITA  "Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association".

Modifying an image (size, contrast...Ext) using a computer will add some  extension file to the image and would change the file format compare to the one  provided by camera file format settings.

Unfortunately, we do not have a  firmware update available that will allow other image format to be compatible  with our Televisions. If this becomes available in the future it will be  announced on our Support website provided below:

http://support.sony-europe.com/tvhc/tv/lcd/lcd.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&m=KDL-32EX403

Sony  United Kingdom Limited does endeavour to meet customer expectations. However, on  some occasions it is possible that a product may not meet a customer's specific  requirements such as our Televisions are only compatible to display JPEG to  match DCF settings and not othere file format. Although we acknowledge that this  is frustrating for you, this is a factor that is beyond the control of Sony  United Kingdom Ltd as the product is performing as it is designed  to.

Whilst we are unable to be of direct assistance on this occasion,  Sony does welcome feedback from our customers and with this in mind, I have  passed your comments to the Product Management for their  information.

Thank you for your enquiry."

Dissatisfied11
Visitor

WTF? This is completely useless. So if you remove red-eye from a photo, you cannot then display it on the screen? Or if, as I did, you spend a large amount of money buying the product with the intention of using it both at home and a exhibitions, you cannot display any image created in Photoshop? I'm sorry I wasted my money. Come on Sony, you can do better than that, surely?

paulawh
Explorer

I to now find that the new sony KDL-40CX523 that I bought last Monday is useless when it comes to viewing my 1000's of JPG images which was one of the main reasons for buying this Internet TV.

Photoshop is the programme I use to edit all my images from RAW format to JPG All my images have no problems being shown on my daughters Panasonic TV.

Not only do I have a problem with my JPG images, this new Sony TV will not show any of my Sony Camcorder AVI files and I'm unable to connect it directly to the TV to view the files as it does not see the camcorder when connected via the USB slot

As I posted I have none of these problems on my daughters Panasonic

I've spent days trying to get this to work, installing the TV update searching the web for answers only to find Sony knew of the problem we have, but seem uninterested in solving it as it's "our" problem

So it's a complete waste of money and will be going back this Monday unless you can tell me Sony intend to address the problems

Edit update  4th September 2011 I've failed to find a solution to my Sony DV Tape AVI files but I have found a work around for my Photoshop jpg files here http://www.ps-scripts.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3409&sid=0a4f01ce1db7ea88380985bb222c6db2 I used the scrpit with in Photoshop CS5 to save a copy of all my pictures on my external hard drive in a seperate folder saving all the images for web with a setting of 50. I then linked this folder to my Bravia via wmp11 all the copied images now show on the TV and I still have the original high quality images for printing.

Message was edited by: paulawh

Message was edited by: paulawh

profile.country.da_DK.title
martinpetersen
Visitor

I have a KDL-22 ... same problem.

But I have found out that when I use GraphicConverter (mac) and use "Save for Web" on the .jpg-files I have edited, then they show on the tv.

By the way: It seems (though I'm not a 100% sure) that only files edited in respect to contrast, colour and so on, are affedted. Not files which only have been cropped.

Martin

profile.country.es_ES.title
JULIANA
Visitor

I have discovered in my KDL-40EX720, that is only able to reproduce jpg files in low or middle quality.

I have become crazy, loosing my time and efforts try to understand why some files are reproduced but others not.

That's all, SONY FULL HD SMART TV, can reproduce just in poor miserable medium quality pictures.

is this a SMART TV?

is this a FULL HD TV?.

No way!,  what incredible poor TV performance !!

I'm  very, very dissapointed with this.

Has any one interest in this equipment?, at this time I can give it back.

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

Sorry to jump in uninvited, I think that this time Sony might not be to blame. I had not tested this because I rarely use the TV for photos. After reading here I did some testing. I have a picture taken with a camera 12MP, 2818x2112, 72dpi horizontally and vertically, 24bit depth sRGB, 2.5MB, I edited it with Gimp, www.gimp.org,  and modify the colour curve. I also applied some artistic changes like getting the picture to look like a canvas, cartoonise, photocopy. I also copy part of the picture and pasted into a new picture. All of those jpg were display by the TV with no problems.

I know that you are using photoshop which is not the editor that I used but Adobe products usually have their own formats which add a lot of information that some viewers will not understand. Something similar happens with HTML pages created with Adobe product they add loads of extra information that most browser should ignore but it is not necessary true for images viewers.

The TV that I used is a HX923, so that is another difference to consider. If the depth bit is too high for instance 36bit then even some computer programs might not be able to open the picture either.

Let me clarify that I am NOT a Sony Representative. I am an angry Sony customer as well.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Yes, this is a common problem.  Edited files add extra colour information which TVs are unable to cope with (Chroma Subsampling) and can become too big for the TV's small processor to resample. Have a look at this discussion: -

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/733803#733803

:wink: