Join now - be part of our community!

DLNA video streaming to Sony TV

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
melsea
Visitor

DLNA video streaming to Sony TV

There have been a number of threads around this topic, none of which seem to have actually answered my question, which is specifically what Video specification is needed for a Sony TV (in my case KDL46NX713) to recognise (i.e. "see") and play video files on my DLNA server?

I have the server set up (Twonky) and can stream pictures and music files, but the TV does not display any of the video files.  I know the manual says "AVCHD and MPEG2" but specifically what container, video codec, audio codec, file extension is needed.  I am happy to recode my videos to pretty much any specification if I could find one that actually worked!

32 REPLIES 32
leecavturbo
Visitor

if i use makemkv to rip my dvd i end up with a vob file. no choices of resolution are given i dont' think.

is that format the mpeg2 you talk of?

if so how do you then get them to mpeg-ps as you dont mention the transition from mpeg2 vob to ps! ?

what prog did you use to do the later convertions you speak of?

tia

RayTrendy
Visitor

I have a Buffalo NAS and I have a significant number of videos stored all of which were coded to MPEG2 standard. Until the last tv firmware update from Sony these files played fine on my KDL-32CX52x tv.

Now the tv will not recognise these files and only plays MP4 format (Ipad). Why???

You will also be bemused to know that if you purchase the Sony SMPN100B media player it will not play the same NAS files as the tv, and in my case is now relegated to occasional BBC iPlayer use... although at least you can use the various outputs to actually record from iPlayer with a separate recording device.

This is too much like black magic (or manufacturer  incompetence) for me and I am by no means computer illiterate, having worked with PCs and networking since 1985.

captainw
New

Yes, I'm sorry to say that, as the purchaser of 5 Sony flatscreen TV's, I know Sony have been slower than most to support multiple file formats. The brands in the lead for file formats were LG and Samsung. Sony is doing a bit better now but is still behind. As the premier consumer technology manufacturer (and one of the most expensive), Sony should be in the lead. I now take to the shop a USB stick containing a variety of video file formats before choosing a TV.