Join now - be part of our community!

DLNA video streaming to Sony TV

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
melsea
Visitor

DLNA video streaming to Sony TV

There have been a number of threads around this topic, none of which seem to have actually answered my question, which is specifically what Video specification is needed for a Sony TV (in my case KDL46NX713) to recognise (i.e. "see") and play video files on my DLNA server?

I have the server set up (Twonky) and can stream pictures and music files, but the TV does not display any of the video files.  I know the manual says "AVCHD and MPEG2" but specifically what container, video codec, audio codec, file extension is needed.  I am happy to recode my videos to pretty much any specification if I could find one that actually worked!

32 REPLIES 32
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Ian

Via DLNA the TV supports MPEG2PS, HDV(MPEG2TS) and AVCHD so if you are playing them off a server directly they would need to be in one of these formats which any good media convertor should be able to generate assuming server is unable to transcode on the fly.

Thanks

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Ianperrettive
Visitor

Thanks Catmambo for the quick reply.

However, I have read many times what the TV is supposed to support but find a converting program that will do the job to the setting required by the TV is very difficult.

So far I have found AnyVideoConverter and TMPGEnc do the job, but trying to convert videos to the formats mentioned using either SUPER, Internet Video Converter, Format Factory or AVS the files do not show up in the menu when there appears to be no difference in the encoding.

Is there a conversion software that Sony recommends?

Do files need to be a certain size?

Do files need to have a certain bitrate?

Cheers Ian

Catmambo
Contributor

None that we recommend specifically. In terms of bitates or file sizes, there are no restrictions as far as I'm aware.

Thanks

flatline
Visitor

Just returning to an earlier point I made about subscription services.

Current I am subscribed to Love Films, I have read there are plans to bring hi-def services to users.

I can't see any way at the moment to stream 720p or 1080p either via the USB or via ethernet. So the question is: Is this TV and other tv's in the range future proofed for hi-def VOD services.

I know many people were a little upset when their freeview boxes and TV would not work with freeview HD and they had to buy new, is the same happening here with VOD ?

If I could get one 720p stream from my network to the TV I would relax a little.

I'm sure Sony and VOD providers especially Love Films will have talked about hi-def streaming, and Sony know what their TVs are capable of, so is it future proofed or not or will I have to upgrade in 6 months to get VOD streamed media in hi-def ?

profile.country.fr_FR.title
sletonqu
New

Have a look on this link: http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=425

This is Serviio - Sony Bravia profile details.

KDL-46EX501, BDP-S373, SMP-N100, Serviio.org
flatline
Visitor

TESTED

Message was edited by: flatline

mr2madness
Visitor

Did you ever manage to stream a 720p to your TV using DLNA?

profile.country.fr_FR.title
sletonqu
New

Of course 720p and 1080p, 50/60fps works fine in DLNA

KDL-46EX501, BDP-S373, SMP-N100, Serviio.org
GilesGuthrie
Visitor

I have a 52HX903 and a 37EX513, both awaiting installation. However, I have tested them including their DLNA streaming capability. I have successfully streamed VOB files to both sets from a Synology DS210j NAS. The files were created in DVD Shrink with the picture taken uncompressed and a single AC3 audio track. This is at 576p from DVD.

Quality is superb, but you lose chapter information and subtitles.

demolish
Visitor

I own a Sony Bravia KDL46EX503 and have WAISTED many hours trying to find what formats the DLNA client supports.
First thing to note, there are file formats and there are video codecs BOTH are important. For example you can have an AVI file format containing video data that requires the AVC codec to play it. On a similar basic you can have an MP4 file format containing video data that requires the AVC codec to play it. However even though the Sony DLNA client can play AVC video data it does not recognise either the AVI or MP4 file format! Why? If you know the answer please tell me!
The Sony DLNA client for the KDLxxEX serries TV supports the following file formats:
MPEG-PS (.mpg or .mpeg) and must contain video data for MPEG version 2 codec.
BDAV (.mts or .m2ts) and must contain video data for the AVC codec.
Audio data must be in either MP3 or AC3 codec formats. To be certain that the audio will work you are best advised to use the AC3 format. (you can use either 2ch or 5.1ch )
Please do not waist any time with any other formats unless Sony have specifically told you that they now support them.
I have been successful at streaming both MPEG2 and AVCHD to my Sony via Twonky Media Server all other formats DO NOT work.
Given that a Sony TV that supports DLNA clients are not cheap I do find their attitude to supporting multiple file formats very arrogant. In particular I do not understand why they only support the MP4 and DIVx formats on the USB?
How difficult is it? Well my 10" Polaroid picture frame with wireless connection supports every format (except DIVx) that I have thrown at it so far. It recognises AVI, MP4, MPEG2, MPEG1, WMV all with various codecs including VIDx and AVC!
Come on Sony get with the picture (pun intended)!