Join now - be part of our community!

xperia tablet z won't charge or turn on

funkymunky82
Visitor

xperia tablet z won't charge or turn on

I've had my tablet for a few months the battery drained so I went to plug it in but nothing happened, not even the charging light comes on I've tried all steps including holding down the volume+ and power buttons (the power light flashes twice but doesn't power on) I even tried connecting to my pc using pc companion but I get to step 2.prepare and can't go any further, I've followed all onscreen instructions and I'm ready to throw the tablet at a wall please help as I've not been able to use it for over a month now and it's only 6 months old
19 REPLIES 19
toaaron
Visitor

Solution:

Press Power + Volume Down button for 3 seconds, when you see the light on or flashing, release both buttons, and then press the Power + Volume Down button for another 3 seconds, the device will start booting and charging.

fakej
Visitor

I'm not sure if it's just coincidence or permanent solution but what seemed to work in my case was connecting the tablet to low power source (USB port in PC/mac)

SonyMakesMeMad
Visitor

Just so everyone knows... Unplugged from power... Volume down and power for 3 seconds, light will flash white, maybe do it a 2nd time, I only did it once.  The tablet booted and started working. Thanks for the solution toaaron!

JW1972
Visitor

What did the helpful person on the phone suggest? My Xperia z tablet got totally flat whilst connected via usb in a car. Now red light sometimes flashes, wiggling the cable sometimes has the red light on permanently but nothing displays on the screen. I fear the battery is stuffed beyond repair. The power button / volume suggestions do nothing, nor does connecting via a pc.

Col1n
Visitor

If it's just a problem turning on try pressing the top left corner of the screen (firm pressure but not enough you're going to damage anything) while repeatedly pressing the power button.

Apparently this tablet has a loose switch/board connection.

I had the same issue pretty much from day one of purchase.

Almost tossed in the bin because it decided it didn't like powering up(or down)

Works every time now with this technique.

Still won't ever buy Sony again tho. Build quality is criminal. 

tabequache
Visitor

I tried everything that I could find on the internet about this subject. Up down buttons and all. 

The pressure on the screen near the on/off button did the trick. I plugged it in to charge and pushed my thumb down on this area as hard as I could, and not sure if I heard a click or just the tablet crushing

a bread crumb on the counter, but it worked. Don't give up on Sony.

ppmkm
Visitor

It seems it is not a coincidence. In my case  on high power charger it would charge for a while, then try to boot, show the boot screen and then switch off  (no charging). On low power port  (PC) it  won't try to boot immediately and stay charging. Many thanks for the idea.

scott0304
Visitor

so i know this is an old post. i had the same problem tried the same thing everyone else did. then i said forget before i throw it out let me open it up. so i opened it up disconnevted the battery  made sure everything was plugged back in. now it turns on and starts charging like nothing ever happened. i bought this tablet back in 2014. 

medzsik
Visitor

Volume + and main switch combo did the trick for me, thanks (tablet: SGP312)

thanks

Hey it worked for my Experia thanks!!