Join now - be part of our community!

wireless networking

Audette
Visitor

wireless networking

hey,

i have a vaio vgn-s5m and i have a netgear 834g router which i connect to with my laptop. the thing is that the internet connection seems to drop from time to time even when other computers on the wireless network stay connected i get disconnected and have to reconnect again. could this be something with the settings or driver problem. could someone help me out on this.

thanks
Audette

1 REPLY 1
William
Visitor

Hi,

There are unfortunately many variables.

It could be simply where your Router is positioned, resulting in your laptop receiving the worst signal strength.

Perhaps your default 834G channel is overlapping with a neighbours. There are only three non overlapping channels available denoted by the three colurs in the picture.

Moving onto your Laptop, in Device manager, in the advanced tab for your Wirless card check:

Power Management is Power mode CAM (Maximum) and infrastructure band selection is 802.11g only (assuming your network is "g").

You could try upgrading your network card driver if one is available but from personal experience newest is not necessarily best.

I used to have an identical problem on my network and it was entirely solved by changing the default channel and then I increased signal strength by moving the Router approx 2 feet :smileygrin:.