Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 8 Language change on TAP20W

SOLVED
profile.country.ru_RU.title
DBMoscow
Visitor

Windows 8 Language change on TAP20W

I am an English speaker living and working in Russia. I just bought a TAP20 running Windows 8 believing that it is possible to change the interface language from Russian to English. However, when I try, the language change screen simply tells me (in Russian) that changing the interface language is not supported in this version. Does anybody know the secret here (is this some sort of OEM lock) as I had understood Windows 8 to be single version and fully changeable from a language perspective

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi DBMoscow and welcome.

I presume you have followed the guide for changing languages here: -

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/language#1TC=t1

Like you, I thought the language control panel was available on all versions of Windows 8.  If you are unable to download and install the English language pack, you may need to speak to Vaio Support or Microsoft Support.  It may also be worth posting in the Russian section of this forum to see if others have the same problem.

Check your version of Windows 8.  I am aware that 'Windows 8 Single Language' - which does not allow language change - has been released by Microsoft in some emerging countries where software piracy is rife.  This is a much cheaper version as it only allows a single language but I thought it was only available in places like China and I would not expect this to apply in Russia.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi DBMoscow and welcome.

I presume you have followed the guide for changing languages here: -

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/language#1TC=t1

Like you, I thought the language control panel was available on all versions of Windows 8.  If you are unable to download and install the English language pack, you may need to speak to Vaio Support or Microsoft Support.  It may also be worth posting in the Russian section of this forum to see if others have the same problem.

Check your version of Windows 8.  I am aware that 'Windows 8 Single Language' - which does not allow language change - has been released by Microsoft in some emerging countries where software piracy is rife.  This is a much cheaper version as it only allows a single language but I thought it was only available in places like China and I would not expect this to apply in Russia.

:thinking:

profile.country.ru_RU.title
DBMoscow
Visitor

Thanks very much Blencogo. In fact you were spot on, the machine is shipped with a single-language version of Windows 8 in Russia. After some experimenting (with Russian more than with Windows), it turns out that for another 45 quid, I was able to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro and obtain the multi-language support. Mind you, not what you really expect after paying more than a grand for a computer!