Join now - be part of our community!

Why does Vaio Defrag say my HDD is OK and another Win Defrag app says pay to fix?!!

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Simon_Clark
Visitor

Why does Vaio Defrag say my HDD is OK and another Win Defrag app says pay to fix?!!

Sorry to relate but  a program called  Win Defrag has appeared from I know not where (kids at home perhaps?!) and says my HDD has 5 unfixed probs which can be fixed for a fee downloading the fix.

Obviously my suspicions are aroused that I have a bug/worm/virus/spoof whatever as surely this type of problem is dealt with by Sony's version of Windows?

However the Vaio Defrag app runs and there appear to be no problems.

Anyone seen this before? Grateful for advice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Simon_Clark,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Sounds like your Vaio's infected by some malware..:smileysad:

Have you run a malware/virus scan.?

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Simon_Clark,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Sounds like your Vaio's infected by some malware..:smileysad:

Have you run a malware/virus scan.?

Simon_Clark
Visitor

Thalamus,

New to using MacAfee, do you know where to start? It's been in Active mode since purchase so thought it wouldpick stuff up like this:smileyconfused:

Simon_Clark
Visitor

OK Thalamus, basically i'm running a full virus scan now, it seems that this program Win Defrag was downloaded today by accident.

The Win Defrag app gives the following message (shortened by me)

There are 5 errrors

1) Boot sector of HDD is damaged

2) There are bad sectors

3) Read speed of cluster is less than 500ms

4) HDD not responding to sys commands

5) 38% of HDD is unreadable

I'm presuming that this diagnosis is either false or if it is not then Vaio can handle it somewhere. Or are these "acceptable" conditions of the HDD operation?

I've tried to uninstall this Win Defrag program (it keeps appearing in order to prompt me to purchase the download to fix the above) but the uninstall doesn't work. The file for removal is in user/usrname/desktop/win defrag.lnk and gives an error message as follows:

Ox50000002

Local Disc C:/ is not accessible.Make sure HD is installed and connected correctly

Any ideas?

Simon_Clark
Visitor

Hi there Thalamus,

Full computer scan revealed no problems!!

Further investigation of Properties reveals that the above Win Defrag  program claims to have been authored at Microsoft and describes itself as part of Microsoft Security Essentials User Interface 1.0.2498.0 and its executable is a numbered app 5117815.exe held in the Temp folder of a user location.

But there is no validaton certificate and no record of download..........

And I can't get rid of it by uninstall.

Q1: Has my HDD got a problem and does it need to be fixed by Vaio?

Q2: How do I uninstall the software that's on the drive (other than by paying for it, presumably downloading the last piece and then uninstalling the lot at the same time as asking for my money back? I can't believe microsoft would force anyone to do this so it must be malware of some sort.

Catmambo
Contributor

Or Defraggler - made by the same people behind the brilliant CCleaner.

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I would advise against paying for Win Defrag as it is spyware.

DO NOT PURCHASE Win Defrag the main purpose of this malware is to get your money and it's likely to do more damage to your system files..

If franks solution does not help let us know and we can give you an alternative to try or failing that give instructions that may allow you to manually remove the infection, although this will be at your own risk..

-frank-
Visitor

Hello Simon_Clark,

You could try downloading SUPERAntiSpyware from superantispyware.com and scanning again with that. There is a free edition.

Do not pay for Win Defrag as it is spyware.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks.

Message was edited by: -frank- - Making myself clearer.

Simon_Clark
Visitor

Frank and Thalamus,

Many thanks for your support.

I definitely did not purchase the WinDefrag.

Having downloaded the SuperAntiSpware.com, cookies and rogue.windefrag were detected (what's wrong with McAfee?)

BUT

My attempts to remove/quarantine windefrag have failed which does not surprise me as SuperAnti's message was that they did not know what this spyware is or is capable of. Seems pretty serious.

I'm guessing my credit/debit card info on the usual pay sites is at risk although  no transactions have taken place on this notebook since we discovered the problem 6 hours ago, may be some personal data in document folders as well.

I'm happy to try anything recommended including paying for the full version of SuperAnti. Is this likely to lead to cleaning up the disk? Or is there another suggestion?

Simon_Clark
Visitor

Just seen eduzzel's post about defraggler from cclean.........will it be any better?