Join now - be part of our community!

What to do with all the drivers?

CC84
Visitor

What to do with all the drivers?

hi all, i'm very trained in installing windows and administrating it. So i decided to install a clean windows XP onto my Vaio Z1RMP without all the additional software i don't want to use. Everything worked fine, but there are after all some drivers i don't know what they are for.

The following folders from c:\driver gave no hint to me, where to install them:
-Smart connect (i tried to install as new driver for 1396 network card and 1396 controller, both where not acceptet)
-sonync (no idea anyway)
-sonypi
Some other directories gave me clues be reading the inf files. (for example the north and Southbridge) but there is no guarentee i found all devices that get updated by the driver.

Hope someone can help me.

Thx

Chris

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

SonyNC is SonyNotebookControl, it really is just a DLL

William
Visitor

I have no idea either, but with your knowledge I assume you have no remaining exclamation marks in Device manager?

If you don't then I would leave it at that. My experience of recovery disks is that they cover a whole series of Vaoi's and are not entirely model specific.

You may find another model in the "Z1" series requires these additional bits.

They are certainly not serial number specific either. Any recovery disc for the correct series will work.

William
Visitor

Perhaps this will help, it may not be the same model as yours (and it is a USA model) - click on the box labelled "Windows XP clean Install".

It gives some very useful information.

US VAIO

CC84
Visitor

You are right, there are no exclamation marks in Device manager. The driver i was able to install (e.g. north and southbridge) where updates for existing windows default driver, so it's hard to find the devices, that are supported by the inf and dll.
Windows uses other names than sony for the same device. In addition i use a german OS, so everything is different again.

Other Sony Notebooks had a description where which driver is to be used. I thought someone would know these here two.

I found out about sonync by reading inf file. My sorrow is i use not the full performance of the vaio or the powermanagement is not fully functional.

CC84
Visitor

thx, nice try :slight_smile:

# Intel® Chipset (if applicable)
# Sony Notebook Control (if applicable)
# Sony Programmable I/O (if applicable)

when i understand them right, this means to me, when there is a setup file. But there is no setupfile and the rest is not covered by this manual.

Seems as if my notebook will stay in his current state.

When there is any other hint, feel free to tell it to me.

William
Visitor

Sorry if I am trying too hard but would all those bits be included in the Preinstalled Sony utilities package for your model, You could try installing that.

VAIO LINK

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

when i understand them right, this means to me, when there is a setup file. But there is no setupfile and the rest is not covered by this manual.

Rightclick on the .inf file and then click Install. Or update the drivers in Windows Hardware Manager.

For example:

doubleclick on your Soundcard and click drivers. You will see Microsoft drivers or something similar. Click on update and select the folder with the soundcard driver from VAIO-Link. That will isntall the original driver.

This method works for nearly every hardware.