Join now - be part of our community!

What does VzCdbSvc.exe actually do?

profile.country.en_GB.title
jumbles1971
Visitor

What does VzCdbSvc.exe actually do?

On Thursday I got my brand new AR21S (a replacement for a previous one with dodgy hard drives) and this evening I got round to installing Half-Life 2. It's been about a month since I'd played it so I eagerly loaded it up and set all the graphics options to max. I watched the menu screen - the one in the City17 square with the view screen on the pillar - for a while and noticed that every few seconds it was 'missing a beat'. I opened Task Manager and had a look at the performance page. Both my CPUs were running at 60% minimum but rising to 70/80% every couple of seconds. There weren't any programs listed so I had a look on the Processes tab. There was a process - VzCdbSvc.exe - that was going up and down the list. I disabled it and my CPU usage plummeted to a much more friendly 10% and now in HL2 that Civil Protection dude strolls around the square "happy as a puppy with two pissers"!

I've looked the process up and it's VAIO Entertainment Database Service. What does that mean and is it actually doing anything useful? "Is it safe" to leave it disabled? On my old AR21S the CPU used to go up and down a lot but it never interfered with HL2.

Incidentally, HL2 looks absolutely stunning at 1920*1200 on an X-Black screen with all the graphics options turned up full!

thanks
Jumbles

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

:cool: Glad it's sorted.. :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
gastonfuenmayor
Visitor

Hi all and have a happy new year! Although maybe I am late with this comment, I think this will be useful for new Sony Vaio users.

I have two processes running consuming a lot of processing in my laptop (around 70%):

1. VCMIALZMGR.EXE *32
  2. VZCDBSVC.EXE *32

What I use to do is just "killing" or eliminating the processes in the Window tasks manager. However, I think this is not an elegant solution for the problem. Why? Because I have to do it every time I turn on my machine. So, having nothing to do today, I made a little research and found a descent solution   (maybe the same one that Jumbles did): turning off the content (video, music and pics) managing using the "VAIO AnalysisManager Settings:

1. Go to Start and look for "Vaio Analysis Manager" program
  2. Click on the Change Settings button
  3. Allow the program to make changes in your system
  4. Click on Photo & Video label in the left hand of the window and disable the “Analyze photos imported to this computer” and “Analyze videos imported to this computer”
  5. Then, click on Music label in the left hand of the window and disable “Analyze music files”
  6. Finally, click on Apply. The result will be all the content Analysis will be Off

Hope this procedure works for you. A final comment: I am using Windows 7, 64 bits.

Regards,

VAIO ANALYSIS MANAGER SETTINGS.png