Join now - be part of our community!

Vista 32 bit > WIN 7 64bit = Multimedia & Mass Storage Controller Drivers

profile.country.en_GB.title
Laptop.Man
Visitor

Vista 32 bit > WIN 7 64bit = Multimedia & Mass Storage Controller Drivers

VAIO VGN-AR51SU  -  BSOD Issues - Change OS from Vista Ultimate 32-bit  to  Windows 7 64-bit

My installed system RAM = 4Gb

Hello,

Thanks in advance for any replies/help with my problem.

Most of what I am stating below may be superflous to my problem (and if so, then my apologies. I'm just trying to include whatever.......to my very limited understanding......could be relevant. So that you don't needlessly have to ask).

I have changed my VGN-AR51SU factory installed Vista Ultimate 32-bit  -to- Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (as I have a retail 32 & 64 bit licence & disks).

This was done due to repeated chronic BSOD, the nature of some of which are listed as:

Memory Management

Memory Kernel

Bad Pool (Caller  --or--  Header)??

etc....

The windows Memory Diagnostics tool when run would repeatedly report back there being a Hardware problem.

I didn't wipe that (I believe very corrupted) system when I installed the Win 7 64-bit os (it remained on the drive in a windows.old folder) as I didn't know how the Windows 7 install would go.

When installed the Device Manager reported back that both the Multimedia controller & the Mass Storage Controller had Code 28 problems. Driver Update attempts failed (they obviously hadn't been missing/undetected from my system during the Vista os.

Very shortly after theWin 7 64-bit installation I would repeatedly get BSOD, with the message of:  driver_less_or_not_equal, then latterly a couple of times with:  bad_pool (caller  --or--  header).

Windows Memory diagnostic scans (with the newly installed os) reported back no issues/problems on both standard + extended tests. Likewise with a memory testing program I had installed (Memtest 86+).

I am presuming/hoping that the BSOD problem (both with my prior Vista & latterly with Windows 7) are all totally software related.

I have since done a fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit (with a drive format as part of the install). It was done yesterday,so there hasn't been much time to test if/what will prompt the problem to resume.

But I would ve very grateful for some insight into the (perhaps ongoing) problem and a help with the resolution of the Multimedia Controller and the Mass Storage controller problems my system is reporting back.......particularly if they could have played a hand in the problem so far

Thank you!

Message was edited by: Vaio.Man

2 REPLIES 2
V-Woman
Explorer

Had the same problem for my VGN-AR71ZU.......found the drivers for both PCI bus 8, device 3,function2 and for PCI bus 8, device 4, function 0 and all was ok. Unfortunately I decided to uninstall Win7 a few months back but now have reinstalled and will have to search for them again.....

I can tell you it did resolve the heating problem at that time though.

I am thinking I may have got the drivers off my old recovery disks. Will keep a look out for any responses here and let you know how I get on,  as have WinVista Ultimate, Win7 almost completed and intend to also put Win 8 on now for the second time...now that I know that works well. I know it sounds mad having multiboot but have my reasons lol.

Will be looking on the other drive to copy over the drivers there for the above and then update them after hopefully.

Laptop.Man
Visitor

Hi VAIOWomanz

Many thanks for your reply.

I presume then that these drivers do generally play a part (directly or indirectly) in heat limitation/distribution?

Because my pc DOES seem (since the os change) quite/very warm in the area to the front of the:  Alt Gr & Ctrl keys of the keyboard......when priorly any such warmth was confined to the area in front of the right side screen hinge.

Since the second install of Win 7 (this time with a drive format included) the laptop hasn't crashed yet.

The cause of the repeated BSOD following the initial install of Win 7 may have arisen due to:

Some corruption of the prior system crossing over/interfering.........or these absent and elusive drivers......or the fact that there were 2 hard drives under the hood (which were twin upgrades of 500Gb each)........(one of which I have now removed, and consequently I guess there is inevitably a little less heat being generated).......or it could be any combination of these reasons.

In any event, if you DO find the drivers it would be greatly appreciated if you could forward to me the info of what I will be wanting to get my hands on as, I don't have a Vista disk on ready hand (and the hunt would be much easier if I could Google, etc, exactly what they are called)...

Thank you again!

Regards.