Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-AR51J graphic problem

profile.country.el_GR.title
gianprifti
Visitor

VGN-AR51J graphic problem

Hi and happy new year!! I have a vaio vgn-ar51j with windows 7 ultimate (32) and nvidia 8400m gt and i've recently started having problems with my graphics 2012-01-01_19.14.56[2].jpg2012-01-01_19.15.43[1].jpg any help???thank u for your time

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi gianprifti and welcome.

It looks like either your graphics chip is developing a fault or your screen is faulty.

To confirm which, try connecting an external monitor and see if the problem is replicated on another display.

You can also check if the fault shown when windows is bot loaded.  At startup, when you first see the Vaio Logo, tap F2repeatedly to enter the BIOS screens.  Is the problem present on the BIOS screen?

There are some known issues with the nVidia graphics chip - but not usually on your model.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
gowilco
Visitor

I have the same problem, but I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit. My problem happens intermittently and has only started happening over the past few weeks. Any suggestions?

profile.country.es_ES.title
OscarFrank
Visitor

Hi everyone!! Unffortunately I 've the same problem, and I 'am getting the same screens, with pixelation, enlarged icons and strange colours (like 16 bit colours). It happens 1 week ago, and I bought my Sony VGN-FZ340E 4 years ago. The only picture of the screens, taking with a camera, that results normal in may notebook was the "Windows starting" screen. But, when I capture the screenshots with the "Ptr Sc"(print screen) button it results normal like in the last file attached; so I suppose that the screen could be the problem, I hope no.

Seen other forums, I could be to a problem with the graphic chip. Other people say that could be caused be overheating, when you use and demand a lot of the processor and in a very hot enviroment, the graphics chip to come away from the motherboard. I 've heard that you have to tight the screws on the graphic chip.

I hope this helps!! Tell my later wheter it results. I 'am going to try.

Good luck!!

tonyhillside
Visitor

I am 99% certain that this is the dreaded Nvidia Graphics Problem and is caused by the solder joints under the graphics chip breaking down normally caused by overheating.  It can be fixed by what is called a reflow and this basically remelts the solder and cures the problem.  This is by no means a permanent fix.  The best solution is to get the graphics chip reballed, this process removes the chip, cleans off the offending solder and replaces it with new more reliable connections.  A quick search of ebay will reveal several companies able to complete this repair and prices really do vary.  I would strongly recommend the reball route as it is a much more reliable solution.

count_zer0
Visitor

I have the same problem ...

but today i thought lets try out the windows 8 consumer preview thing ... and no graphic error so i tried ubuntu 12.04 an no problem just with win vista and win 7

lukappaseidue
Visitor

Hi Blencogo, please, could You help me?

I've the notebook of the object that has always runned fine .. until some day ago the display began to shows thousand od dots on windows desktop, even on boot or logon or BIOS MENU'

Please, could you help me????

It is very hard to read the display

Thank you very much for the time You will spent for me.

Regards

Luca