Join now - be part of our community!

vaio VPCF11S1E overheat problem still after update bios

profile.country.en_GB.title
cldsyl
Visitor

vaio VPCF11S1E overheat problem still after update bios

dear all,

I got Vaio F11( i7 cpu) on March 2010. I had overheat issue for more than 6 months. Just try to look into this issue recently since overheat issue is getting serious. Laptop can be burning even I just browse internet or do nothing( power on).

Following the instruction online, I have update bios, but it doesn't seem the answer. I have call for technical help. But seems my machine has passed the warranty. To get sony check my laptop, I have to pay 60 pounds first.

After review discussion online, it seems to me, the batch I got has default problems including high pitch noise, overheat, etc. I had send my laptop back for noise issue last year. And the only way to get around is to turn off the microphone( in setting).

What I want to say is that this patch ( f11) has so many annoy issues( faulty product?). It doesn't make sense for user to pay for service charge even the warranty is past. Any suggestion except paying 60 pounds first?

This should be a case for sony. I have looked into the way to contact Sony. But all of these are directed to technical repair provider. Any tip which directory I should contact?

43 REPLIES 43
profile.country.el_GR.title
kokamze
Visitor

i sent my vpcf11 to vaio to be fixed for overheating and all was well, for a couple of weeks. i updated my bios but i didnt see any changes either (do we know what changes were made to that bios?)

now though i opened my vaio and made some holes behind the fan and i noticed max temp dropped by 25C ( it reached easily 97-99C and now max is 75C while playing skyrim at "ultra" graph options) and iddle temp from 65-67C is now 57-59C.

perform operation at your own risk (if u are willing to open ur vaio be carefull because the wireless switch brakes EASILY)

tonkin72
Visitor

Have contacted sony on 09050310006, spoke to a helpful lady and was told I could have laptop picked up and diagnosed for £64.00. I am interested but they can't give any idea on repair costs, was yours still in warranty or did you have to pay and if you don't mind me asking what sort of cost was the repair?

Thanks David

sydelie53
Visitor

Hi Austin. Sorry for the delay in replying. Initially I contacted Sony about the problem, but no action was taken. After reading my posts, Sony contacted me and had a record of my initial communication with Sony support about this problem, and this time decided to address the issue (very satisfactorily, I might add).

My VPC-F11S1E/B still makes a gentle "whirring" noise when under load, but it's no longer a harshing noise that grinds on your nerves and makes you want to throw your laptop against a wall. Under light load (browsing the web, checking emails, blogging), it's completely silent. It's actually quite impressive considering the CPU is first generation core-i7 (45nm wiring, I believe).

I'm thinking about selling the unit now and upgrading to the Sony SE series (the one with the HD screen), although I still can't decide if the screen is comparable to my F series (I love the screen on this baby - can't stare the reflective screens that come with most laptops).

sydelie53
Visitor

Hi David - mine was under warranty the first time I contacted Sony about this issue. Unfortunately, the support person handling my case just didn't do anything. When it was recently repaired, it was outside of warranty. However, I was not charged for the repair because the person handling my case was extremely reasonable and helpful and noted that I had contacted Sony about this issue while the unit was under warranty (and no action was taken).

nimbystripes
Visitor

Hi, Guys. I have exactly the same case and would like to know if Sony would be able to replace it with a new one unless it still covers the warranty? Thanks in advance.

syavash
Visitor

Guys, 2 years past since I purchased My F 11.Fan noise and overheating problems recently intensified. until I decided to open the case 2 hrs ago and I did it!! I removed dust from cpu fan and copper duct. Then I assembled (kidding!) it and Awesome!! My laptop is silent now with these applications running:

1-Mozilla firefox (currently typing!)

2-km player playin musics

3-IDM downloading

4-IE

The cpu temperature measured by "coretemp" is  55 C while before dusting, it was 75 C. The fan pitch is also resolved.

I suggest everyone to do as I said, before you spent any cash to silence and cool your notebook!

profile.country.sv_SE.title
halus79
Visitor

Interesting, i have a vaio F11S1E too. Probably some more holes close to the fan at the right place will increase the air flow cooling the cpu more. i might try that if there is no other solution. But the RAM (at the position where the excisting air intake is) will be less cooled then, so the hole must not be too large. I dont have the microphone issue fortunately. The computer gets very warm when idling, and i dont think there is much dust in my computer, as it usually stands on a table and i dont use it all that much. I just have to make sure it's not under warrany before i make holes.  Dont know if sony will cooperate since, the computer works, it's just extremely annoying with all that noise. (I did the bios update too, doesnt seem to affect noise)

I also have a vaio Z21 which just the other day started to shut down each time i stream video. I assume the graphic card overheats. The weird thing is that it shuts down also if i use the stamina/speed button to switch graphic card before i power it on (and yes the button works) Reinstalling the copper heatsink might do the trick (as the GPUs connection to the heatsink wear out). Not only vaio had this problem with overheated graphic card though. Usually, instead of having it's own heatsink, the GPU uses some ad hoc solution to connect to the CPU heatsink, and after some time has too low cooling capasity. Guess i could use a flexible copper wire to lead heat from the GPU to the heatsink. The CPU heatsink is not able to cool the GPU perfectly since the heatsink is not flexible, and thus, it cannot be perfectly allignet to both the CPU and GPU surfaces.

Anyway, It's amazing how so many vaio computers seem to overheat and be noisy and maybe even become unusable. I have to check how old mine is now, how long is the warranty valid for anyway? I should check if my z21 is still under warranty. I hope sony cooperates, if not, i will certainly never buy VAIO again, neither recommend vaio to friends or family, and they often ask me for advice since i'm an engineer.

Maybe it's also wise, next time to buy a computer with less power, since a computer with the newest, most powerful CPU and GPU might be the warmest and most noisy computer too, especially the laptops. Guess i7 cpus of todays generation produce less heat then the nehalem one in my computer.

I have even though about installing water cooling on the F11, that would be great, but that way it would no longer be a laptop. I have seen some small pumps on ebay selling for about GBP 50. i was wondering if one can install something like that on the rear of the screen with  a lot of copper tubing connected to silicone tubing going into the computer and then simply solder a copper tube to the copper heatsink. That way i dont need to remove anything and the fan will even still work as before if necessary.

profile.country.sv_SE.title
halus79
Visitor

Ah, vaio warranty is 2 years. Less for some models in the UK.

antrow1985
Visitor

Hi everyone,

Please learn my lesson..and take care of this very sensitive and obviously very flawed machine... I own a VPCF11S1E, model PCG-81112M

The computer started overheating after exactly a year. Nice considering, it then became out of warranty. I installed the Bios update, which basically just slows your computer down and does not fix the problem. Then my computer stated to shutdown for no reason, possibly due to overheating. The nail in the coffin was when the screen started to crackle and go to the black screen of death... After a few times of hitting the black screen of death, it just stopped booting at all. I took it to a 3rd party computer techincian and he said the GPU had blown and as it is fused to the motherboard, you have to replace the whole motherboard. The motherboards for this machine are very rare. The only one i found was listed at over 350 dollars, and had a shady machine number that did not quite match my machine.

I took it to sony that quoted me about $100 dollars for it to get shipped to see what the problem is then.... at their guesstimation about 300-500 dollars for the repair..I could not afford this at the time, and curently in the US you can buy a perfectly good laptop for 499...

This laptop has caused me nothing but angst. Do not purchase sony products, the post care you get is aweful if out of warranty. I paid about 1400 hundred pounds ( when this machine had just first come out 1800dollars!), I rarely used it for anything more than surfing the web, music playback, and the like. I just wanted a reliable, fast computer i could rely on, and was willing to pay up for it. WHAT A MISTAKE.

I hope someone at sony reads this ... curently im living off a HTC phone and have all my documents on google cloud services.. until i can cough up enough money for a new workstation.

Lesson to be learnt... always buy a warrany...and dont trust Sony products....

antrow1985
Visitor

i currently reside in NY and bought this product in London. Sony should be taking much better care of everyone who has written a complaint on this wall, as they have already admitted to overheating of this machine..recalled some models.... (thus potential damage, thus fault...) I think we all just want a machine that we can trust and use. The customer is not at fault!

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Email removed