Join now - be part of our community!

vaio VPCF11S1E overheat problem still after update bios

profile.country.en_GB.title
cldsyl
Visitor

vaio VPCF11S1E overheat problem still after update bios

dear all,

I got Vaio F11( i7 cpu) on March 2010. I had overheat issue for more than 6 months. Just try to look into this issue recently since overheat issue is getting serious. Laptop can be burning even I just browse internet or do nothing( power on).

Following the instruction online, I have update bios, but it doesn't seem the answer. I have call for technical help. But seems my machine has passed the warranty. To get sony check my laptop, I have to pay 60 pounds first.

After review discussion online, it seems to me, the batch I got has default problems including high pitch noise, overheat, etc. I had send my laptop back for noise issue last year. And the only way to get around is to turn off the microphone( in setting).

What I want to say is that this patch ( f11) has so many annoy issues( faulty product?). It doesn't make sense for user to pay for service charge even the warranty is past. Any suggestion except paying 60 pounds first?

This should be a case for sony. I have looked into the way to contact Sony. But all of these are directed to technical repair provider. Any tip which directory I should contact?

43 REPLIES 43
profile.country.en_IE.title
andywen
Visitor

it isl not working , do not try

profile.country.el_GR.title
E1SAMAN
Visitor

I have exactly the same problem, I could have written the original post with the exact wording.

I finally realise that the laptop has problems as a model and it's not only non-usable but it's also dangerous and  we should return it back to SONY even there's no warranty anymore.

Message was edited by: E1SAMAN

Message was edited by: E1SAMAN

vimtoribena
Visitor

I have always had sony laptops and paid a tidy sum for my vpc11 late last year, I only founf this overheating issue by googling it because the darn thing got so hot it nearly melted the power cable and hurt my hand!  I found the bios update (thanks sony by the way for writing to me to tell me about this quite dangerous issue) but it told me that I already have that version of bios.  Joy of joys still overheating and no further solution other than to ring a 35p a minute line which I feel I shouldnt have to do!  I guess Ill have to ring the line and request they refund the cost of the call.  For anyone in the UK, look up the sale of goods act, you may find some useful information in it.

stevebinary
Visitor

Hey guys,

feeling your pain - I have the same issues.

Be warned it isn't just gaming that does this, I don't game. My issues are playing video, and sometmes even just playing audio.

A local (ish) computer repair shop does a service for £45 (GBP) which apparently clears the dust, and the replace the coolant with a better one as part of the service. I'm a tad skeptical about whether this will fix the issue and even about leaving a fairly important bit of kit in the hands of another - so not 100%, but think I'm gonna leave it in today - will kepp you posted.

Can any of you confirm something as well....?

I also have an issue with the audio signal. If its plugged in to speakers and the laptop & speaker volume is  turned up full, I get a mains hum noise. (low frequency buzz) HOWEVER if I unplug the cable, the noise stops - definitely an earthing issue. I have had this issue with every speaker system I have plugged into (at least 5 at different locations in the last 2 months)

Can any of you confirm or deny the same problem. (you'll need a loudish set of speakers to hear it well)

The reason I ask is that I am pretty sure that the Blue Screening and video issues are also reduced if you take the mains cable out - not very practical I know, but worth a try if you are over heating.

SamboXIV
Visitor

I paid £60 to get thermal pads applied to my graphics card and I bought a cooling pad and my laptop still overheats. Next thing for me is to take it into a Sony shop and grovel.

I have only had it for a year, I don't know how long the warranty last's for.

danbennettdjb
Visitor

Same problem here and the sony help / technical support has been pretty shoddy.

Never going to buy sony again, spend all this money on a laptop just for it to be barely usable. Real shame, Not even sure if my warrant is still valid, how would I check?

jonovert
Visitor

My issue is similar - hot hot hot - but also random shut downs. I have no idea what cauuses it but suddenly it switches off..... Sony is not premium - it is foolish.....

danbennettdjb
Visitor

Up, did anybody find a fix for this?

micpass26
Visitor

It's interesting to see all the complaints about noise and overheating from this laptop. I bought mine in June 2010 and it seems to have got even noisier - maybe after updating the bios last year, judging from other posts. The left side of the machine still gets amazingly hot. I'm not a gamer and a laptop should not overheat just from a bit of net browsing and the odd spreadsheet. In common with several opinions here, I'll not be buying Sony again - despite having owned several Vaios in the past.

profile.country.nl_NL.title
DJEnrique
Visitor

Hi guys,

I've had this heat problem with the funny blowing noise for over a year. I got so tired of it, that I decided to fix it myself. Let me tell you that I'm not exactly an expert on this stuff, but I did fix it! How? Removing the dust that was inside the ventilator.

Here is how I did it...

- First I removed the battery and power cable.

- I opened up the laptop. It didn't open that when I took all the screws out, but eventually it worked. The ventilator was directly visible.

- I blocked the ventilator, so that it couldn't move around (otherwise it could get broken).

- I used an air compressor and blew the dust out from the left back side of the laptop (next to to the power plug opening). The dust flew up from the ventilator.

- Then I blew the dust out from the inside of the ventilator.

- I put everything back together and got the screws back.

- My laptop said thank you for letting me breathe again :smileyhappy:.

It was this easy. I just couln't keep this information from you. I hope this is useful to a lot of people.