Join now - be part of our community!

vaio VPCF11S1E overheat problem still after update bios

profile.country.en_GB.title
cldsyl
Visitor

vaio VPCF11S1E overheat problem still after update bios

dear all,

I got Vaio F11( i7 cpu) on March 2010. I had overheat issue for more than 6 months. Just try to look into this issue recently since overheat issue is getting serious. Laptop can be burning even I just browse internet or do nothing( power on).

Following the instruction online, I have update bios, but it doesn't seem the answer. I have call for technical help. But seems my machine has passed the warranty. To get sony check my laptop, I have to pay 60 pounds first.

After review discussion online, it seems to me, the batch I got has default problems including high pitch noise, overheat, etc. I had send my laptop back for noise issue last year. And the only way to get around is to turn off the microphone( in setting).

What I want to say is that this patch ( f11) has so many annoy issues( faulty product?). It doesn't make sense for user to pay for service charge even the warranty is past. Any suggestion except paying 60 pounds first?

This should be a case for sony. I have looked into the way to contact Sony. But all of these are directed to technical repair provider. Any tip which directory I should contact?

43 REPLIES 43
profile.country.el_GR.title
xarouli
Visitor

i have the same problem over a month..i dont know what to do.im very disappointed with this laptop and cost a lot of money...i downloaded the latest bios but nothing...i hope to find a solution

alperez87
Explorer

Hello,

I have another F11(i7) model also purchased on march 2010 and I'm experiencing exactly the same problems.

The laptop gets incrediby hot and noisy since a month ago, even if I updated the Bios as instructed long ago before the problem arised.

The problem gets much worse the more tasks you perform but also randomly if no applications or resources are used. It really looks there was something wrong with this batch as cldsyl mentioned and we are going to be left with it without any help beyond the useless Bios update.

I don't really know what to do either, and reading the other comments I fear I wasted over a thousand pounds on a machine that now performs worse that my 7 years old desktop after only 18 months of little use.

I always was a fan of Sony products, but unless we are given a fair solution different from paying even more money for uneffective help on a faulty product, I will inevitably lose my faith ...

If anybody got any hints or can help in any way, please let us know!

Thanks,

cldsyl
Visitor

I realise that out of warranty meaning no way to contact vaio!

hoeggli
Visitor

Hi

I have joined this forum because I read this post.

I agree with the OP, I have the same laptop purchased around the same time and too suffer from chronic overheating problems, the laptop is virtually useless. The bios update does not fix the problem as if it would. I payed a lot of money for this laptop and for it stop working after a year and half is unexpectable. I even use a powerful notebook cooler and that still does not work. I regularly have to resort to buying large bags of ice and placing them round the laptop to cool it when watching a movie etc, how ridiculous.  Sony customer service is appallling and will do nothing even though it is an accepted problem. Even though are laptops are out of warrant they should be looked at by sony as it is a terminal common problem. The fact that they will not is frankly out of order. I for one will never buy a sony laptop again.

What I would like to know is, has any one sent there laptop back out of warranty to Sony? Has the problem been fixed and how long did it take? Or can anyone recommend a fix to the problem?

Many thanks Howard

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

pctech33,

Just for clarity, this thread concerns overheating of the Vaio Vaio F11 series NOT the Z series.

However with neither of these models is replacement of the graphics chip a viable option as it is soldered to the motherboard.

Also if you are quoting from another source, word for word, then it is only courteous to reference your source.

http://supportforsony.iyogi.com/vaio-z-series/overheating.html

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
alperez87
Explorer

Things are getting worse and worse with my laptop and it's getting useless now. Just surfing the net creates such a level of noise and heat that ends shutting down itself without putting into any kind of stress or reaching decent performance.

Since it's out of warranty and I'm not seeing any better solution, I'm even considering to grab my set of screwdrivers and take the risk of opening the laptop's case myself to find out if this is indeed a problem with the dust that I may at least mitigate. I know, it sounds scary and I can create other problems by removing the case without knowing too well what I am doing but I don't seem to have any other option... :slight_frown:

Did anybody try this already by any chance? Any advice before I try?

Cheers,

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi alperez87,

Although not specifically related to the cooling system this link may be of help.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/take-apart-sony-vaio-vpcf1-laptop-replace-lcd-screen/

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
alperez87
Explorer

Thanks Rich, this will be really helpful in case I dare to open it myself!

profile.country.en_IE.title
andywen
Visitor

what can I do ?  do not buy sony anymore .

I have the same PC, I did not know it got over heating problem until it is stoped working now!

At the beginning the screen off and on ,now it can not start .

why there is no one in sony come to say anything ?