VAIO SVE1512J6EW - 5 days old - nothing but trouble! Help needed

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jamiestone
Visitor

VAIO SVE1512J6EW - 5 days old - nothing but trouble! Help needed

Hi there,

My son got this for christmas.

I have had to refresh it twice, and restore it twice in only 4 days.

Each time the screen went blank, and didn't do anything else.

I think it happened during a start up.

The last time, it was after we took it somewhere else, and tried to log in to their WIFI.

Password accepted, said something like 'device update', then reset and froze black screen

Vaio logo came up, then just hung there.

After a refresh, windows was very restricted. Can't change the wallpaper, can't acces C drive, PC setting wont work. the list goes on and on.

Because of this, I have had to restore it each time. He lost all his work / games etc as I wasn't able to boot up to back them up. I DO backup, but assumed a new machine would at least last a day!

Typing this as i've just refreshed for third time (5 days) - this also doesnt work properly as described above, so will probably have to restore.

Does this seem like a hardware issue, or software?

There is no virus on it (barely had any internet use), and I have been in charge of all the installations.

I am logged in as administrator, but it wont give me acces to c drive.

Regedit wont work eg

Thanks for any advice

Jamie

Message was edited by: jamiestone

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Jamie and welcome.

Do not use the 'Refresh Windows' option as this deletes everything except the Windows settings.  Microsoft do not warn you about the deletion of everything - programs, Sony Software etc. - which will leave you without a fully working laptop.  Leave well alone!

I would do a full recovery back to factory settings by pressing ASSIST when the Vaio is completely shut down and follow the instructions for a recovery from the hard drive.  This will take several hours so make sure the mains lead is connected.  Have the Vaio connected to the internet so that it can update Windows, Sony Software and McAfee antivirus.  Check that it is fully up to date.

Do not install another anti-virus program like Norton as this conflicts wit McAfee and prevents downloads of programs and video.  Mc Afee must be completely removed using the McAfee removal tool before installing another AV Suite.

Check everything is working properly BEFORE you install any programs at all - and then only install programs that are fully compatible with Windows 8.

It should not be necessary to do any recoveries.

You will find instructions for a full recovery back to factory settings here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/consumer/4445110111.pdf

Always a good idea to ake a set of Recovery Discs - just in case.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Jamie and welcome.

Do not use the 'Refresh Windows' option as this deletes everything except the Windows settings.  Microsoft do not warn you about the deletion of everything - programs, Sony Software etc. - which will leave you without a fully working laptop.  Leave well alone!

I would do a full recovery back to factory settings by pressing ASSIST when the Vaio is completely shut down and follow the instructions for a recovery from the hard drive.  This will take several hours so make sure the mains lead is connected.  Have the Vaio connected to the internet so that it can update Windows, Sony Software and McAfee antivirus.  Check that it is fully up to date.

Do not install another anti-virus program like Norton as this conflicts wit McAfee and prevents downloads of programs and video.  Mc Afee must be completely removed using the McAfee removal tool before installing another AV Suite.

Check everything is working properly BEFORE you install any programs at all - and then only install programs that are fully compatible with Windows 8.

It should not be necessary to do any recoveries.

You will find instructions for a full recovery back to factory settings here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/consumer/4445110111.pdf

Always a good idea to ake a set of Recovery Discs - just in case.

:thinking: