Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio S: Wrong build delivered?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
-SiJP-
Visitor

Vaio S: Wrong build delivered?

I ordered an 'S' series (SV-S13A2C) in mid November, and customised the configuration to include the 2GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M LE graphics card.

This order was delivered within 2 weeks (very impressive).  I have only just noticed that the laptop actually has an Intel 4000 HD card - something discovered when doing a dxdiag.  It seems to be a mistake - the configuration on my receipt clearly shows that I should have the GeForce GFX card.

Is this common? I would have thought there is quality control that would prevent this...

Have emailed support, but right now vented my thorough dissapointment in Sony, particularly as it takes a fair few weeks to install everything I need.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
-SiJP-
Visitor

Ho hum - should look before I leap:

Actually the Vaio has BOTH chips; and nVidia Optimus technology for switching between the two, when in dire need of GPU juice.

Faith in Sony restored.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
-SiJP-
Visitor

Ho hum - should look before I leap:

Actually the Vaio has BOTH chips; and nVidia Optimus technology for switching between the two, when in dire need of GPU juice.

Faith in Sony restored.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi -SiJP- and welcome.

As you have found, your SVS13A2C5E has TWO graphics configurations - the discrete nVidia GT 640M LE and the Intel HD 4000 which is incorporated into the processor.

Your Vaio will switch from STAMINA (Intel) Graphics and SPEED (nVidia) Graphics automatically depending on the how graphics intensive the application is that you are using.  For instance, it will use the nVidia graphics if you open a game.

You can also select your chosen graphics manually and you should find instructions in your User Guide.  I paste the relevent section here for your use: -

Hope this puts your mind at rest.