Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO Pcg-71511M - black screen

profile.country.en_GB.title
Elpik1
Visitor

VAIO Pcg-71511M - black screen

hi

I have problem with VAIO Pcg-71511M.

How I try switch on laptop i see only black screen, hdd working, fan working, 1 light is on (battery) nothing else. what I must doing?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Elphk1,

Can you please try to identify the correct product number as PCG-71511M is a chassis model reference that can apply to more than one product? You should find this either on the screen surround or possibly a white sticker on the underside – It may start with VGN-

Try shining a torch on the screen to see whether you can see a feint image. If you can then this may possibly be a screen inverter, backlight or cabling issue. Also, if possible, attach an external monitor to see whether the problem is still apparent.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Elpik1
Visitor

Hi rich912

product number: VPCEF2E1E

I try connect to external monitor and to my TV but all the time screen is black. I here HDD but nothing else.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Elphk1,

This doesn’t sound good. Did you press the Fn key + F7 to switch to an external display?

As there is no screen display you can’t even try a startup repair but to be sure try pressing and holding F8 at boot.

There are a couple of things you could try but I very much doubt that either will have any effect.

1  Shut down, remove the power adaptor and battery and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Then reattach battery and power adaptor and reboot.

2  Remove and then reseat the memory modules.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Elpik1
Visitor

I don't see any start screen everything what I see is black.

I try everything but nothing help:( maybe graphic card is broken.

I will be must buy new laptop.

hihi maybe Sony take my laptop and I pay less for new:)

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I suggest that you take the notebook to a local repairer (assuming that it is out of warranty) and ask for their opinion. This service should cost no more than £20 – Some repairers offer a no fix no charge deal with the exception of the collection or return charge.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Havil52
Visitor

Hey

I have a Sony vaio laptop, model number Pcg-71511m

I think the backlight has gone on it or a cable come lose, shine a torch on the screen and you can see the background.

Is this something that is easy to get hold of and change?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Havil52,

I assume you product model reference  is VPCEF2E1E or similar?

If so I believe this has an LCD screen as opposed to LED and the problem may possibly be faulty/lose connection on the video cable or more likely a problem with the inverter as there is a feint image when a torch is shone on the screen.

If the inverter needs replacing the part is cheap (probably less than £10).

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Havil52
Visitor

Hey rich

Yes that is the exact reference number, are they hard to take apart and see if it is a loose connection or change the invertor?

Do you know of anywhere that sells them as I have been looking online and can't find one.

Thanks for the help

Matt

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Matt,

I don't have disassembly instructions for your model and unless you feel comfortable with removing the LCD cover I recommend you consult a local repairer. Tolal cost of repair should be no more than £100.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat